Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build mainboard required

Options
  • 01-01-2024 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭

Looking to upgrade to the Ryzen 7 7800x3D and looking for a mid-range motherboard to go with it, preferably X670E

I was looking at the Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master and it has great reviews but reading bad things about it, can stop working months after the build, nic sometimes disappears, many BSODs, etc

The Asus strix boards can burn the CPUs on the older bios (not sure if they fixed this) or maybe only an issue if overclocked like crazy.

The MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk or MSI X670E Carbon possible options.

I'd like pcie 5 so it's ready for the newer gpus (I think all on the market now are pcie4)

Will be primarily a gaming rig.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,079 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The Asus CPU burning thing is long fixed by this point at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cornholio509

ASUS wasn't the only vendor frying the CPUS . MSI , GIGABYTE and ASRock all had the same issue . Asus made a pure PR hash of it with legal disclaimers under the bios updates . While the rest said do not overclock the CPUS until they release a new bios version . SO yes in part it was an overclocking issue for the 7800X3d . I think it was hit and miss for the 7950X3d if it would fry or not . A bios was released by all vendors to fix it . I think ASUS is remembered by everyone because of how they handled things . THe fault lay with AMD because of their miscommunications over the voltage requirement for X3d CPUs .

This is a non issue now for all vendors . That said its no harm to make sure and check the bios revision when you first boot up .

When it comes to X670E motherboards anything around the 350 euro mark is probably the best value . As it stands all X670e motherboards have 1 pcie x16 gen 5 slot as well as one gen 5 NVME slot . THat is dictated by AMD as part of the spec for the chipset . Because the chipset has an onboard IO chip you also have a extra pcie gen 4 lanes for 1 PCIE x16 and X amount of gen 4 and gen 3 slots . This may vary by vendor because the onboard IO controller is part of the spec as well . How the PCIE lanes from the IO chip are used is vendor discretion .

THe boards i would recommend are the MSI tomahawk , Asus Prime X670E wifi pro , Asus tuff gaming X670e plus . They all cost around 350 EURO . everything else a is way to tax people for some kind of ELITE gamer aesthetic . From a little research into the specs of the chipset from all vendors it seems they are more or less the same give or take an NVME slot and USB ports .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I was also looking at the Asrock B650E Taichi which is close to 400 and it does have pci5 for both gpu and nvme.

I suppose the main thing that matters is that they are not shared so if I use 3 nvme slots it ends up reducing the gpu to x8 which would be a fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,701 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I wouldn't bother with X670E IMHO.

The only game on the planet that benefits from PCIe Gen5 is probably Star Citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Went for the Taichi B650E, got it for a decent price, seems like only thing different from X670E version is one less m2 slot, which I wouldn't use anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Luna84

I have a X670E Aorus Master for a few months without any issues.

Advertisement