Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom put a cable at head height behind my house

Options
  • 01-01-2024 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi

I live on a sloping site overlooking the sea out the back. Eircom recently installed a cable that runs behind my house to give someone internet access about 20 metres further down ther road. They did this because (apparently) a team of builders cut the old cable to the house as it was in their way. Rather than insist they put it back Eircom have ran one that now goes past my back window at head height, ruining the view and looking very slapdash as it has a knot in it too! Is there anything I can do to get them to re-route it? There was no consultation or anything, I just came home one day and it was there...thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭com7

Request that it be moved or snip snip ...it s contractors did that now so they do nt care where they ran it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sbmayo

So are all their cables done by local contractors?

I don't want to cause a problem for my neighbour so no snip snip...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

request it to be moved, involve your neighbor in the process

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I had a similar issue with an installation. Circet the contractor put in a cable across a farm gate and were supposed to come back and heighten it. Never did, tractor pulled it down and Vodafone told to get lost. They dont care

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭csirl

They've no right to run a new cable thru your land without permission - ask for it to be re-routed to the original route/height.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its not through his land by the sound of it.

But, you've no entitlement to a view, of course, but maybe have a word with the neighbour to get it buried, out of courtesy.

If he gets the heavy hint with you that you're not at all happy, and that snippy snippy may indeed be an eventuality, he'll be sure to get it organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭com7

Its all contractors that do that work for eir & vodafone & sky etc , I guarantee you they ll ignore all requests and hope you ll go away .....unless you take some action ie accidently hit it etc

Is there any kind of limit about how close to your head these cables have to be? When I'm in my back yard it is about 3 or 4 feet away from my head

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

OP, what type of cable is it? Optical (fibre) or electrical phone cable?

Wake me up when it's all over.

Phone I believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Thats no big deal for them to move. Fibre optic cable would be involve a lot more effort.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

Not really. Overhead line is overhead line. They’re only drops to houses. In both cases they’ll just run a new overhead ‘wire’. They’re not going to split and join either of them. It’ll just be a new run pulled off a reel.

One is connected into an optical distribution point (DP) with ports on it using a fairly simple splice into a little connector. It takes minutes. The other is wired to a copper distribution point electrically.

It’s 6 of one and half a dozen of the other in terms of effort.

FTTH fibre is as least as easy to install as phone lines if not easier in some ways. Only issue being it doesn’t like sharp bends.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Is the line at head height from the ground or at head height when viewed from your windows. There's a huge difference.

Advertisement