Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Xiaomi SU7

Options
  • 31-12-2023 6:17pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Xiaomi SU7 is officially revealed but no pricing details just yet. This is a high-performance four-door EV to take on vehicles like the Porsche Taycan Turbo. 

The SU7 Max with dual motors pushes 664hp and 838Nm of torque. It can get from 0-100km/h in just 2.78 seconds, up to a top speed of 265km/h. 

Using an 800V battery architecture, the Xiaomi SU7 can be fast charged with up to 220km range in just 5 minutes or up to 510km range in 15 minutes. The slippery design delivers an impressively low drag coefficient of just 0.195cd. The 101kWh battery boasts up to 800km of CLTC-rated range on a single charge.

In terms of storage, the SU7 is still pretty practical with a 517L boot. There's even a large 105L frunk under the bonnet.

There's also a Xiaomi SU7 RWD version. It gets a single motor pushing 295hp and 400Nm of torque. It can get from 0-100km/h in 5.28 seconds, up to a top speed of 210km/h. The base model has a CLTC-rated range of 668km and it uses a 400V battery architecture.

Like a mixture of the Model 3 and Seal but their text of competing against the Porsche Taycan would have me thinking this will be a €100k car if it gets to Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

my robot hoover works great so why not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

As does my phone, have had several, all excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

First electric scooter I had was a goodun

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭MakersMark

That is pig fugly.

Who would be stupid enough to buy that in Ireland?

Waste of batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Looks are subjective. I quite like the look of it. The headlights look a little low aesthetically, but otherwise it looks like a decent yoke.

Sure...some folk like the Ora Funky Cat 😂

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭boosabum

As does my electric toothbrush and Android box 😁

Interesting to see what the price point for this will be .

2024 should be the Chinese invasion of the ev market

I just don't get the point of 101kWH batteries in stupid cars and oversized 4 ton American SUVs.

Environmentally unsound.

Given the destruction around how these batteries are sourced, there should be an " gas guzzler" type of tax on battery size imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Did you read about the car,I haven't read much but I can't see how it could be seen as an SUV ?

My point there was that 100 kWh hour batteries are wasteful.

Especially so some dope can accelerate to 100 kph only to find that he's already exceedi g the speed limit on most roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭crl84

Acceleration/speed has little to do with the battery capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,569 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

And some like Porsche Taycen not exactly pretty either.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

If launched here, I would consider buying one, or a BYD, the only fly in the ointment, there is a push in Europe to levy Chinese cars, which might put their prices in line with Europe made EVS

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This looks interesting, starting at $42,500 not sure if it'll go on sale here but Xiaomi are active in Ireland.

Certainly gives Porsche something to worry about, might be prudent to hold off on that bargain Taycan.

Post edited by liamog on

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Calculator123

Great to see potential range of over 1000km being touted. Hopefully realistic. For a lot of drivers like myself who do regular longer journeys with same day return, the EVs at the moment just don't cut it. A lot of the middle ground drivers won't be convinced until they see ranges akin to what they get in their ICE cars. Range on mine is over 1200km on a full tank and can cross the country east/west and back twice without thinking about topping up, winter or summer.

Would love to jump to EV but my circumstances just don't make this a viable proposition until range of current offerings double. Particularly conscious of the huge drop in range observed in cold weather. That's a non runner for me. As is stopping for charging for any period of time.

I've never been an early adopter of any technology so I need to see more advances and stability before making a move.

Do folks think ranges of 1000km + will become commonplace in a year or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think it will be at least 5 years before we see a genuine 800km+ winter range EV. It's too niche and manufacturers can make two 400km+ cars for every 800km+ car. Today's crop of EVs obviously aren't suitable for your use case, but many long haulers have been able to find an EV solution for their particular needs. So it's a very small percentage of the overall market that's left.

This does seem like a contender for that kind of range. 1200km in summer should give 800km in winter.

I can't believe I'm going to say this but you don't need 800km range especially in this which can recharge over 500km in 15 minutes.

I do think we're going to see the current batch of cars seem out of date in the next year or two when it comes to range. This is good though as they'll become very cheap second hand and the whole EV adoption falls flat on it's face if you can't pick up one for a few thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭crl84

Absolutely not, it's several years before that happens, if at all.

There may be a few vehicles with batteries of that range, but for the vast, vast majority of people, a 1000km range isn't required day to day. Someone who needs to drive 1000km without stopping is a bizarre outlier, and manufacturers aren't going to be catering for these people here by and large.

93% of car journeys are less than 1hr, 70% are less than 10km: https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/car-travel-remains-the-most-popular-mode-of-transport-across-ireland-survey-finds/a1666665597.html

Far more likely is battery charging speeds improving and 800v becoming much more common, so that a 500km range battery in a car takes 10mins of charging to add another 300kms range. That coupled with far more rapid DC chargers around the place is much more useful to 99% of the population, and likely where manufacturers will go in the short/medium term, for most of the models they bring out.

Not a everyone what's to refuel every day or couple of days. You cars out of action. There's comfort in long range it doesn't matter if you forget to plug in at nite time and there's an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

As a non EV driver, who would love to get one, I still think the biggest obstacle is the lack of home charging. I’m one of what must be 500k+ households that don’t have the option to install one.

While longer range and faster charging (especially this) will help and encourage more switches, there needs to be a solution that allows every household to have access to home charging. I mean this has been a problem for 10 years and there is still no proper solution. I think the grant that is offered to management companies at present is nowhere near enough to encourage them to build.

They need to subsidise the costs so that it’s economically viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If you don't have home charging it simply won't make sense to spend money on an EV as it will likely cost you the same or more than an efficient ICE. Public DC charging is very expensive

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There's plenty of proper solutions to the problem you've described, you just need to look beyond this island. In countries like The Netherlands they treat charging availability like a municipal service.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Won't happen (800km+ winter range), the weight of the extra batteries start cancelling out range increase gains so diminishing returns set in

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Calculator123

Indeed. 1000km+ non stop would be an outlier but I wouldn't be driving that in one go - just saying that I don't currently have to think about filling up any more frequently than that with ICE.

The fear I have with EV is the winter range. I would regularly do a day round trip from Dublin to Connemara, a distance of almost 300km each way. From reports I've read recently, winter range on many of the vehicles with even the very best ranges in summer would require a stop both ways for this journey (or be very stressed with a few percent left one way). It's inconvenient at the very least. It's fine to charge at home but finding a charger in the middle of rural Ireland, queueing etc.....

Maybe as some of you have said, much greater widespread availability of fast chargers might solve this issue.

For now, I think an EV will not meet my needs but in hopefully next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Pop back in 2026 so.

The launch of this is on live now, https://twitter.com/leijun/status/1773296861110997434

This thread is going to get a lot busier if this launches in Ireland. Very impressed watching the launch today. The torch under the centre console with a charger built into it for your phone was one of the unexpected touches, they've literally thought of everything. You can fit a fishing rod in the frunk.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/xiaomi-set-plunge-into-evs-tricky-time-china-autos-2024-03-27/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I think it looks better than the original announcement too. Fishing rod or a rifle will fit there 😃

The way things are going we'll probably need the latter. 🤣

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Technique

Decent review, he's quoting $30k/$40k in the US for the RWD/AWD. Seems phenomenal value if accurate.

Advertisement