Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a land for development

Options
  • 31-12-2023 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hello looking for information about buying land to develop house. what should i look into first . how hard is to change zone type ect ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,862 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Build a house for yourself or build for sale?

Urban or rural location?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭iniscealtra

You don’t change the zone. The council designates the zoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 egizz983

would say both ofc i am more interesting in developing multiple houses in rural area , a little outside the city 10-20km looked at couple sites for sale they are in white zone on a zoning map

You need to look at the County Development Plan for whatever county you are in and see if you can comply with the housing policies of same. I wouldn't hold out much hope of getting permission for multiple housing development in a rural location.

What is the white zoning you referred to?

in this area where marked x its a little outside i dont see any development planning there . the land i was looking at was 0.8 acres so there is plenty of space to build more then one house but not sure how realistic this is on obtaining planning permission ect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mikewebber

Don't jump in with money if you've no experience in this area

• Registered Users Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You'll get every sort of opinion here, from wild guesses, to borderline trolls, to actual experts - trouble is, you can't tell one from the other.

Especially when you haven't identified the area you're interested in.

If you're considering investing a large sum of money, find yourself an actual local planning consultant and pay for some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You have zero knowledge and you think you can make money developing houses.

Everyone else must be mugs.

For a start, outside zoned area means rural housing requirements will need to be met. Typically that will mean only 1 house possible and only for applicant with a genuine connection to the area such as building on family farm.etc.

Also 0.8 acres would be only site for 1 rural house.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mikewebber

You've smart developers and farmers all dealing with land

Too many pitfalls

If ya could pay someone that knows what they're doing that might be a way forward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,128 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ah no lads. The OP has just spotted a genius loophole that nobody else has every thought of.

That would be my thoughts on the matter also.

OP you need to discuss this with a local planning agent. I have no idea what county this is in and hence no knowledge of the local development plan but as stated you will struggle to get permission for a house that will be built to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Not rocket science to figure northern outskirts of Galway city. One of those questions that if you have to ask, you'd be better off forgetting.

You obviously know the area. No need to be narky with the reply.

That actually very useful advice thank you , i had no idea on how to proceed i have money and experience in construction i knew its not straight forward buy land and build what you want just wanted some directions on how to proceed or what to look at when buying the sites .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Google is your friend as my children like to tell me :)

The latter part re asking the question were in reference to the OP, not you!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Spark Plug

I would speak to a planning consultant in order to determine if the local authority are likely to grant permission for a multi unit development, can the existing local services (water, sewerage) cope with the additional houses.

if the answer to this is yes you will need to determine how many houses and type of houses can be built on the site 5x 3-bed semis or some other combo this was establishing the site density.

one this is established the next question is how much can you sell them for, once you have this number work backwards taking off the build cost and profit to arrive at the site cost you should be paying.

Good luck

As it's outside the zoned area, housing need will apply and 0.5 to 0.75 acre required per house. I had a quick look at map and in support of that opinion, one off houses on large plots can be seen on adjacent sites.

I'd say a house at that location would be sought after however a speculative build won't be a runner.

as someone said earlier it is impossible to get planning permission if you are dont have relatives in the area ? even if you want to build single house and sell it ?

Yes generally.

One way to go with this but it's a risk is to buy the land without planning.

Get an initial design done and advertise the crap out of it as a turn key proposal for anyone who can satisfy the housing need requirement in the area.

You are competing with the people who would just buy the.land right now Subject to planning so you need to add something.

Top level architects to design to clients requirement , planning process taken care of in the purchaser name, build stage to completion.

It's all risk though and limited clients.

• Advertisement

subject to planning means that planning permission was already granted ? or that it is possible to obtain ? . Also some sites says preplanning would that means they are currently trying to get planning permission on that ? or this " The sites are being sold subject to obtaining planning permission to those who will qualify for planning permission in the area." its kinda hard for me to understand those .

for example this https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/site-raheen-athenry-co-galway/5366989 clearly states planning permission for 13 houses already have so all others not so clear to me . also in this case how easy is to change plans of the actual houses ?

some of those question probably best to consult with planning consultant but i just want to have general understanding when going though ads on what to look before going to consultant

• Registered Users Posts: 19,128 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

"subject to planning" means you would agree to buy the land, but that agreement would be subject to you successfully obtaining planning permission on it. If you don't get it, then hand back the land and get your money back.

Nobody would sell land to you under those terms if they know you haven't a hope of getting it. You'd be wasting their time. And you'd be paying site rates for it from the start.

That site is clearly in village centre or near it and has been granted permission for a commercial development. It's within a zoned area I'm sure.

Its likely on public sewer also allowing much greater density of development.

The sale price will reflect the 13 houses that can be developed so while farm land of that size might go for 20k, this will probably go for 500k.

Advertisement