Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best gas boiler to retro fit

Options
  • 31-12-2023 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Hi I currently have a baxi solo 2 50pf gas boiler that has seen better day. Still working perfectly but obviously not very efficient and looking to upgrade.

looking for a similar sized boiler for 3 bed semi detached house. Boiler is located in kitchen cupboard so need something compact, similar to the baxi solo. Open vented system

what is the best boiler on the market? I don’t mind paying the extra money for a quality bit of kit.

also whats your taughts on upgrading to a heat pump? House has being upgraded (insulation) recently, cavity wall insulation and attic insulation. New doors and windows also. Heat pump might also be an option… but very sceptical of them…

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 VDFUser22

Sorry I can't help on the boiler recommendation but how's that cavity wall insulation working out?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Kealyboy

It’s hard to quantify how well it working to be honest but can’t do it any harm considering it didn’t cost me anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭andyd12

I would stick with a gas boiler rather than HP, not worth the hassle imo. A new boiler along with your recent upgrades would complement each other well.

For a HP pipes would need to go outside. A large power supply would need to be taken from the fuseboard. Fuseboard might need upgrading then etc etc.

Most boilers are quite good now but Viessmann, Worcester-Bosch, Ideal would be at the higher end and have good warranty periods

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

I would be looking for boiler with best modulation rate so it can run as efficiently as possible or lowest output as necessary.

The newest Worcester Bosch Green star 4000 series have 1:10 modulation which is class leading so 18kw/24kw can run as low as 1.8 or 2.4kw outputs.

My Ideal system boiler can only modulate down to 4kw.

Advertisement