Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What constitutes a hit and run?

Options
  • 31-12-2023 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

Looking for guidance here please. I was stationary in traffic in Christmas week when a woman driving in the same direction hit my car and knocked the casing off my wing mirror. She didn't stop. I tried to drive after her but there were 3 - 4 cars between us and she was heading towards traffic lights so I was afraid she'd get through and I wouldn't. I parked up and ran after her, knocked on her window and she immediately denied she had done it. I pointed out that her wing mirror was totally bent inwards and she then said she'd pay for the damage. I asked her to pull over to exchange details and she refused. She then closed up the window and drove off. I ran to the car behind and asked them to take a photo of her number plate. They kindly did so and you can see from the photo that the wing mirror on the passenger side is bent inwards. I went to the guards and reported it. The guard said he'd call her and give me a call later. He said not to worry that there would be CCTV if she didn't co-operate. Ten days and four phone calls later I finally tracked him down and she has denied everything. He also says now that it's a civil matter and we should put it through insurance. I said it was a hit and run, that she had done damage and refused to exchange details. I'm really upset at this. I don't want to have my insurance hiked up for an incident i didn't cause. He was to call her yesterday because she hadn't given her insurance/licence details within the required 10 days. Needless to say he hasn't been in touch and I want to get some guidance before I try and track him down again. Can't believe that people can be so dishonest. Accidents happen but you don't lie your way out of them. V stressed about the whole incident.

Comments

You have her reg, make a claim through your insurance company and they'll track her down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The hit and run aspect is ultimately not directly relevant to you, other than you getting some sense of personal satisfaction for them getting punished. I just mean that it won't help the civil aspect

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Leaving the scene of an accident without exchanging details is an offence under section 106 of the road traffic act.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

As above, contact your insurance with the Garda name if you didn't get a pulse number, her registration details and if you have a 3rd party witness give their details too.

If your talking to the garda again, say you'd like to report it as a hit and run, then leave it with them

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chancer12

I said I was reporting it as a hit and run but he said there was no injury involved so it wasn't a hit and run. I went to the station on my own and I found the latter dealings with him unsatisfactory. I think he was quite dismissive and just wanted rid.

She has been quite manipulative because she went to her own local station within half an hour and reported me for aggression. He doesn't seem to have asked why I would randomly tap on her window if nothing had happened. She maintains she pulled in but I walked away. I most certainly wasn't aggressive. I just asked her to pull over and exchange details. She was the one leaving the scene. I'm doubly annoyed that she would make a false accusation like that. I've never had dealings with the Guards previously and don't want an entry like this against my name on any system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Sadly the gardai are very busy and he isnt interested. I had to seriously push a guard when an old lady hit me at the roundabout at the hermitage clinic by liffey valley.

Had to explain to the guard she was wrong and how. He came up with multiple obstacles but I got there in the end.

Keep at them or go over his head

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

You don't report something as a hit and run

Just tell them what happened

Drama just gets their backs up

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

She has been quite manipulative because she went to her own local station within half an hour and reported me for aggression.

How did you become aware of this?

I get that they're busy and in the greater scheme of things this isn't a significant incident, especially with what's been happening recently. However, it's significant to me because the repair will be expensive. I wasn't trying to be dramatic by reporting a hit and run. I thought that was the case but I guess 'leaving the scene' would have been the correct term to use. I was really shocked and upset. So, am guilty on that account.

When I spoke to the guard yesterday he told me she had denied doing any damage and in fact had reported me for aggression at her local station. He also confirmed that she hadn't given her licence and insurance details within the 10 day period. He said he'd check the Pulse system 'later' and contact me. Again, no contact from him but I will persist to get a Pulse number. Will try to get one before I contact my insurers. Just don't want them to settle and then hike up my premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, do we gather that the Garda at the station where you reported the incident has told you that your name was put up on a Pulse 'incident' because she submitted a false report about you at a different Garada station?

On a technical note, if nobody is injured and both drivers are at the scene then it's not necessary for either driver to go to a Garda station to report the accident. But she was clearly in breach of S.106 by driving off. And she committed a second breach of S.106 by refusing to give you her details when you demanded them.

In any man's language, this was a 'hit and run'.

• Advertisement

Coylemj, yes, that's correct. I'll try and get the Pulse reference number asap and see how the insurance handle it. Hopefully the guards will give me her insurance details and that it's not the same company as me. Insurance companies in recent years have tended to split the claim between both parties where it wasn't a major incident. In some cases not even notifying the claimant that they were splitting the amount of the claim. I guess I'll just make it clear to them that I don't agree to that and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Ask to speak with the on duty sergeant and be prepared to wait until he/she is free to see you.

Thanks, yes, I want to enquire about that false report also. Don't want to have a record of any description at this stage of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I'd be seriously pissed off like you but for the price of a mirror sometimes the stress is not worth it. Just pay for the repair yourself and try forget about it

You're probably right but it is a mechanised one and I just replaced it due to a fault about 6 weeks ago. I think I'm as annoyed at the Guard as I am with her. I'll get over it! I appreciate all your advice everyone. Happy New Year!

Advertisement