Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting new boiler - do I need HIVE?

Options
  • 31-12-2023 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

I am getting a new boiler in a property I own where one of my children live whilst at college. Swyft are installing a 24kw Ideal Logic Systems Boiler and are recommending HIVE. Is it worth getting? I live abroad so I won't be setting it to come on and off, and am not sure my child who lives in the property will remember to do it with the HIVE. I am not entirely sure how it works but I know I understand it can recognise geolocation which won't be helpful as I am abroad. Swyft said HIVE helps with energy efficiency and together with TRV values, which we don't have yet, can also increase BER. Is this correct? They are also recommending a flush as well as a new hot water cylinder when getting a new boiler?? It's an expensive job, so want to be sure I am getting the correct information and that I understand it. The boiler we currently have is only 13 years old, and was installed by an RGI, but Bord Gais, and several of their service people, have said it never met their regulations from the beginning and it has to be changed - this despite the fact that an RGI certified it 13 years ago. I'm wary of making another expensive mistake. The house is mid-terraced with 8 radiators and a heated towel rail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Any heating system should have time and temperature controls. Otherwise it will run uncontrolled and waste energy. A BER report will identify if controls are fitted or not.

Hive is one option, another is Heatmiser Neo, both of these have apps/phone access if required. But can be standalone from within the house too. If your child is unlikely to interact with it, particular temperatures can be programmed into it and it can be fully automated.

The system flush is important when fitting a new boiler.

What are they saying is wrong with the current boiler? Does it definitely need to be replaced completely?

Advertisement