Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blacksmith Artisan cracked backplate

Options
  • 30-12-2023 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all. We have a Blacksmith Artisan insert stove, where the open fire used to be. The back boiler was removed when this was installed, so it only heats the room. While cleaning, I noticed a small crack at the bottom back, and it quickly devolved into a full length crack (after family telling me its grand). Just wondering if this is bad or can we work away? There's just cement blocks behind it.

As far as I can tell, the Artisan is discontinued (getting replacement glass was fun, got the last one from where we ordered it originally, have measurements at least for future requirements). Can this be fixed? I know feck all about stoves and fires in general... most likely cracked due to burning polish coal or overloading with blocks). Can it be fixed with cement or welded? I'm sure it lifts out, but it looks like one whole piece front to back, sides are separate.

Cheers for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭10-10-20

In my opinion - that is a double-walled stove - the combustion chamber will be inside the external stove-wall and the smoke and by-products of combustion will still be contained and exhaust via the flue. So it's effectively the same as a cracked fire-brick. I'd leave it be, but if the hole opens much more then you should consider replacing it. Yes you could weld it but it's likely to continue to crack due to the effects of the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Lovely stuff, thanks! Yeah, I'm keeping an eye for now anyway and hopefully it won't get any worse. I'll start saving just in case!

Advertisement