Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compact camera for teenager

Options
  • 30-12-2023 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Looking for recommendations for a simple, compact, travel camera for a teenager. Just starting out and wants to use it on an upcoming skiing trip. Budget about €120.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Do they have a phone? The whole compact camera market has all but disappeared since everyone started carrying phones with half-decent cameras.

If they do really want a dedicated camera, €120 isn't much of a budget.

Here's one option: Afga WP8000RD:

It's somewhat rugged and waterproof, so it will survive being dropped in the snow and getting knocked about. Would be ideal for the beach/pool doing the summer too. It has a second screen on the front, so it's good for teenage selfies. One thing to note is that it doesn't have an optical zoom - only x16 digital zoom, so image quality when zooming will take a hit. But the fact that the lens doesn't extend is what gives it it's waterproofness.

Aside from that, there's very little at all in the sub-€200 range - a couple of other low-end Agfas and Kodaks. The only reason I'm even mentioning that camera is because it's waterproof. To be honest, there's no cameras under €300 that I'd bother looking at if the person already had a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

For that budget I would probably stick to my smartphone. Current medium and high end smartphones have very decent cameras with full manual controls.

Advertisement