Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid Position 3 Port Valve Modification

Options
  • 30-12-2023 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭

I often read of the above having relatively short lives due to motor burn out because CH is normally its "last port of call" which means the motor is running every night in a stalled condition even with both HW & CH programmed off. Even if you programmed the HW to come on briefly at the end of the night the valve will only power off and spring return to the HW position if the cylinder stat is calling, no guarantees of this and unlikely.

Thie installation of a NO relay should ensure that the valve will power off at the end of every CH request, either with the roomstat satisfied or programmed off..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Do those mid-position valves latch in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

I have never seen one but I believe they will only latch in the mid position to facilitate the draining and filling of the system.

So will the valve not then revert to a monostable state when the power to the motor is switched off by the NO relay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

Yes, the only reason for installing this relay is to ensure that it is not powered up for long periods when not required.

Right, so nothing is calling for heat at that point anyway, so power off the three-way by dropping power to the relay. All win.

• Advertisement
Advertisement