Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Objection Query

Options
  • 30-12-2023 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Hi. Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction.

New owners of Detached house next to mine have submitted plans to double size of house and increase height. The planned property will overshadow my patio, overlook my house and be extended beyond the east facing, back end of my house so will be in my eyeline. It is in a conservation area.

I raised my concerns with the council who relayed them to the new owners, but the subsequent response only referenced their surveyors qualifications for working in a conservation area, not any other issues.

I will tell the council that does not do anything to address my concerns, but does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get some meaningful progress on this?

I fear they will just go ahead and build and as it's only an elderly man affected no one cares. The owners have not even introduced themselves after a year of ownership as I think they know they are in the wrong.

This is keeping me up at night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kevgaa

Hi OP,

The best advice I can give you is to engage with a someone familiar with the planning process and laws and get them to assist you in lodging a formal objection to their planning application.

You need to remove emotion and feeling from your objection and be factual and quote laws etc in your objection.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭rayjdav

When you say you raised concerns with council, I assume they have submitted for planning and you have formally paid your €20 and submitted an observation. Also, I read that a decision has not been made yet on the application. If this is the case and it bothers you this much, get a professional on board and appeal as 3rd party the decision to ABP when the council have made their decision, if granted. Par for the course and you should get a technical response from a pro that will all points, with no emotion.

If they are building without planning, contact the enforcement department, but once again with the help of a pro. You get one chance to object, might as well be done right imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭lmk123

I’d suggest looking through the planning pages on the councils websites for other objections. You’ll get a good idea of what’s required from them. Definitely engage an engineer/ architect to do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you raised a formal objection (if you haven't you should) then don't assume that their lazy response close out the objection. The council sill consider it in there decision.

Wait for the decision.

If you are happy with the conditions that attached, great. If not then appeal to ABP, who are a third (well forth) party.

• Advertisement
Advertisement