Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back boiler Issue - No hot water, its just warm.

Options
  • 30-12-2023 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hey all!

I hope you had a Merry Christmas and will have a prosperous new year.

So why I am writing here, because my Mother-in-law is having issues with the hot water system that they have in their house.

It runs off a back boiler from a solid fuel stove straight into a tank, recently it has been making "boiling" sounds from the back boiler but there has been little or no hot water, warm at best. (there is no pump so it is all gravity working the system, also there is no immersion attached)

I have attempted to drain the system and pass through a vinegar solution into it instead. It somewhat worked and I got us 3/4 weeks of hotter than warm water but we're slowly going back to where we were a few weeks ago.

The question I have is; Are there any other systems that I could use to try and clean the system? We're planning on getting a water softener system into the house but would like to clean the system out before then.

Thanks again all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

I have to say first I'm not a plumber.I had a similar problem one time and the copper cylinder had to be replaced because the worm which heats the water had failed and was leaking. I would certainly look at this before installing a softener. A softer would be helpful going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Nokia08

Thanks for the reply @Pappacharlie, as far as I remember the tank is a direct cylinder but I could be wrong. (I purchased it on instruction from FIL, who has sadly since passed).

We'll more than likely get a plumber out in the new year to replace the tank and maybe install an heating element because having to light a fire in the heat of recent summers has been killer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭10-10-20

For practical and safety reasons it would be a good plan to modernise the system alright, especially if your MIL is getting on in years. I'd be suggesting that be done sooner than later, especially if the back-boiler is acting up and possibly not using the BB at all from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

Not a plumber, but if you have oil fired central heating in the house it may be possible to heat the domestic water too. You may have to replace the cylinder with one with a coil, also fit an immersion - you'll have almost instant hot water- at the flick of a switch.(very handy in summer....if we get one in 2024😊)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Nokia08

Thanks for the replies @10-10-20 & @monseiur. Yea, I'll be reaching out to a plumber this week. I want to plan to see what the damage is and we've also noticed a leaky connection in the oil heating system in last couple of days so that's another thing to add to the list ☠️

• Advertisement
Advertisement