Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a golf club to join (Dublin)

Options
  • 29-12-2023 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

Haven't posted at all on boards for a long time but...I'm trying to find a club to join in Dublin. I'm living close to Harold's Cross and want to find somewhere to play down here. I'm a member of a club at home and would imagine that I'll still play most of my competitive golf there (Wednesday and Weekends) but I'd like somewhere here that has a good driving range, chipping and putting and then obviously a course that's in good condition and not a crazy journey to male (say 30 mins)

Ideally I'd not like to spend too much on an entry fee because I'm already a full member elsewhere. I was told about palmerstown as a five day member but heard some bad stories about the conditioning. I've looked at castleknock but didn't like their pay and play model.

FWIW I'm a 7 handicap and basically play as often as I can. My work is weekend work so I can play a lot thru the week. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Castlewarden worth a look. Has a range, pitching area with practice bunkers, chipping and putting greens.

Course is well looked after, a fair challenge. Does 5 day memberships too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Sorry to kinda hijack a thread, but would you know if castlewarden is beginner friendly?

im looking to start, castlewarden and beech park are my closest clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Its reasonably friendly, certainly its almost pan flat (not necessarily a bad thing), but its testing enough at the same time, off the right tees. There's a few water hazards in play at times. Nothing particularly bad about it at all really, bar the pylons and wires that cross a few holes. Just doesn't excite me. Great practice facilities though.

If Beech Park and Castlewarden are your closest, there's planty of choice nearby. A few mins down the N7 you've Naas, Palmerstown, Kileen. Up the hill from Beech Park there's Slade Valley (now thankfully controlling their own destiny) and a few mins further there's Lisheen.

Sorry one last question would all clubs have driving ranges?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Luttrelstown has a good range and separate 3 hole practice area

• Advertisement

I would say that on balance, it would be a relatively small minority of courses that have on site driving ranges

What exactly do you mean by beginner friendly?

If you mean is the course easy, I'd say, per Russman, it's flat land, so an easy walk (think there is only around 40ft in difference between the highest and lowest points on the course). It can feel tight in places in the summer when the trees are in full growth.

It's very playable, with some tricky greens.

If you mean, is it a welcoming place for beginners, I'd say yes, it is. The vast majority are friendly people and happy to play with anyone, irrespective of their experience or level of golf.

A few grumps around the place, but you'll find them in every walk of life!

Hi,

thanks for the reply. I meant beginner friendly as in the latter sense. Im looking to start playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Sorry Op, when I said reasonably friendly I meant the course, the layout & land etc. It wasn't a comment on the membership - I wouldn't have a clue about that, but I'd imagine most clubs are as spacecoyote mentions, with most people friendly and the usual couple of grumps.

I'm not 100% sure exactly how it works, so this may not be relevant to you, but a lot of clubs are running "Men into golf" and/or "Women into golf" initiatives with Golf Ireland. I know in my own club its a nominal enough amount which gets you something like 4 or 5 group lessons and on-course lessons with a bunch of fellow beginners and the local pro. Helps them get a feel for the place before committing to joining and they may have a few new buddies to play with. Might be worth checking out.

Advertisement