Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Led Floodlight on permanent dim

Options
  • 29-12-2023 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Got a new led Floodlight but was shocked when I opened the Outdoor Junction Box it was a mess(see pic below)... anyway after taking away the old broken light and replacing it with a led pir light(I wired it the same as the old was) it works but its permanently on dim I see. I'm guessing this is a bad wiring or leak? any suggestions? to stop it from been on dim.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sundodger5

I have the smart version of these and the same thing happens, I think the small amount of power that trickles through is enough to have visible light emitted. The same power would not show on an old school halogen.

I would wait for an expert though.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

I can see the meter very slowly moving when it's on dim, im more concerned of an electric issue rather then the cost(it's not a lived in house) so don't like electricity running through house 24hrs a day..

@sundodger5 so does it say that this is part of the light design (with the ones you have) so it's using electricity all the time for your smart lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Not sure if it is part pf the design, i just know that if i go outside in the dark you can see the LED component lit very dimly.

I had a quick google and some stuff comes up about the phenomenon. Not sure what applies or not.

I do know that even during a power cut here some of the LED bulbs i have could run on the bit of electric that was getting in. They need very little to shed some light. I would imagine the bit that is turning on your LED was the same for the old one just not visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭ongarite

This should fix the issue with residual current causing LED to be on low level

• Advertisement

I was tricking around with it and found the cause after disconnecting each wire in turn.. It turned out the earth(green/yellow) was causing the led to come on. When earth wire from house was on same connection. Not good but that was issue. a big electric job is planned for 2024-25

Advertisement