Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotting Disease in Rabbits

Options
  • 29-12-2023 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all, waiting on my license to come through for my 10/22 which will be used for target shooting and shooting rabbits on a few permissions I have. I wont be shooting many rabbits, 3 per month max and they’re all going into the pot. I know of diseases such as myoxmatosis and tularemia (which I’m unsure is even in the country) but I wouldn’t know much on how to spot them and of any other diseases. Is there any tell tale signs of these and or any other diseases I should look for when cleaning a rabbit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭sniperman

google rabbit diseases,im sure youll get most of your answers there

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭JP22

Skin them in the field, not at home, they can be infected with fleas, ticks, mites, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

You'll no when you get an unhealthy rabbit. It'll look thin, sore swollen eye's, rough, dull looking fur. Flea ridden. With mixi, they will act lethargic. Sore swollen eyes.

Unless they are in bas condition, the odd flea on a rabbit will be perfectly fine to eat. As said, skin out in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TopCat27

I hope your permissions aren't as affected by hemorrhagic disease as my permissions have been. I haven't seen decent numbers in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ExtractorSpring72

@JP22 so they should be skinned in the field and gutted etc at home? or should it all be done in the field?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 ExtractorSpring72

@TopCat27 once i get out and have a proper look we'll see. have a good few ranging from county to county so hopefully some will bear fruit

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭JP22

If only a few, skin & gut before going home.

Basically, your choice, not bringing skin home greatly reduces risk of infecting house with ticks/fleas/nits etc.

Advertisement