Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

partially blocked toilet drain - using a pressure washer to clear?

Options
  • 29-12-2023 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭

have a downstairs toilet that is partially blocked - when flushed, water rises in the bowl but does drain more slowly than usual, but still relatively quick, back to normal level in bowl. have used vinegar/soda and chemical solutions with hot water to try and clear it, and a couple of times it seems to have worked, but then resumes the rise and slower drain cycle again. Haven't previously had an issue with it over the last number of years. Septic tank was done this time last year so that shouldn't be even half full yet.

I have a karcher pressure washer with pipe cleaning attachment so was going to use that this afternoon - any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Am i better off to start at the toilet bowl or start at the drain access point which is about 8 meters from the toilet - it's a connector where 2 drains meet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,129 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Caustic soda, followed by boiling water. Then give it some time. The quality of the toilet paper can be the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ablelocks

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

also try washing up liquid, a heap of it plus full boiled kettle. Give it 20 mins. Load up a basin of water and throw it down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

Really depends where the source of the blockage is. I have had, in the past, exactly the same symptoms you have. Every time I go and inspect the manhole closest to the toilet (outside in the path). If that manhole is full then that means the blockage is farther downstream, so the sewer rods or the Karcher kit you have works a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would always work from outside and that’s how the professionals seem to do. for one thing you are less likely to flood the house.

It is better to go upstream if you can, again to avoid risk of flooding but also so you can easily see progress, when the blockage breaks

Locate the blockage as closely as possible first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement