Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Phone activation time

Options
  • 28-12-2023 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Our contract was up a while back for our FTTH and landline (voip via the FTTH provider). It was time to shop around again for a new deal and we decided to go back to Eir.

We got an activation date for the Broadband of yesterday (27th Dec) and out modem was posted out to us all ready to connect on the activation date.

So, yesterday morning I received a text to say that the Broadband was activated but if we ordered the Eir Broadband Talk, we would receive a further text when it was active. I was pretty sure that would follow yesterday, as we have switched out provider a few times over the past 5 years, keeping our same landline number, and the phone service was up and running at the same time as the broadband was activated.

Still no landline activated today, so I contacted Eir who tell me it takes another 7-9 days for the phone service to be activated as they are porting the number from our previous provider. I said that is odd, as we always kept the same landline number and it was always up and running the same day with any other provider that we used?

How the heck does it take another 7-9 days. Surely as it is all on the OpenEir network, it should have been a seamless transfer with the broadband??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭RobiePAX

I have seen this delay being mentioned before. As far as I know all providers were instructed to switch from PSTN to VoIP as Ireland is slowly switching off the copper wire.

It's hard to say the actual reason for the delay in your case. Maybe they are experiencing tech issues. Or maybe an increase of every provider placing orders strictly for VoIP stresses out the system and creates backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

Thanks RobiePAX. I actually rang Eir back and spoke to another person, who informed me that the delay is that the porting department has been closed from 23rd Dec - 4th Jan so no telephone ports can be carried out until then. Sounds a bit mad but we'll see if it transfers over later this week...

Advertisement