Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historical Temperature Data

Options
  • 28-12-2023 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

My 13 year old son is doing a project at the minute and it would be helpful if he could reference reputable data on monthly temperatures in Mayo! Specifically the winter months and it would be great if there was a website which has got the average high and low temperature for the winter months. Met Eireann gives the LTA for overall temperature for each month which is a help but if there was a reputable source for the average lows that would be even better .

thanks in advance for any help !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Belmullet and Claremorris monthly data can be found at the Central Statistics Office - https://data.cso.ie/#.

Keep in mind, there is no direct link to it. You press on the link I've given and have to search in Temperature and then get rid of all the irrelevant datasets by selecting "Climate" category on the left side of the site.

Use this site for those stations as their data goes from 09-09 which is the climatological standard for historical consistency.

Met.ie has the historic data page which you can use for other Mayo stations. https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/historical-data

The stations you'll be looking for that have recorded temperature data:

Ballina Golf Club (2000-present)

Ballinrobe Creagh (1962-1990)

Belderrig (1986-present)

Bellacorrick Moneynierin (1950-2004)

Delphi Lodge II (1993-present)

Glenamoy (1958-1998)

Knock Airport (1996-present)

Newport Furnace (1959-present)

Straide (1963-2020)

Find the closed ones by ticking the box "Show closed stations". Note this shows ONLY closed stations, untick the box again to see the current stations in operation.

File formats are in CSV.

Climate stations do not have monthly temperature data for whatever reason - weird how the Met do this - and need to calculate oneself by averaging out the daily values.

If you want absolute max and temp values (highest temp and lowest temp for each winter/year/season whatever), let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

That's brilliant @sryanbruen ! , I wasn't aware of that. I have a long term aim to do a data analytics project on my weather station data, will be extremely useful to confirm/correlate conclusions with official records.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Amazing

thanks so much

Advertisement