Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clay pipe foul water pipe

Options
  • 28-12-2023 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

There's an old clay pipe that runs along the back of our row, before it turns and joins the main sewer line out on the road.

My house is at the top of the line, so there's nobody upstream.

What can I do should I want to replace the clay pipe with new a PVC one? Is it case whereby a pvc pipe can be inserted into the clay one?

Like can the existing pipe be cut, where it joins the neighbours, and my section is replaced with pvc?

Or are we looking at replacing the entire line with a pvc one, which would mean tearing up neighbours back gardens etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You can do what you describe with joining plastic to clay. But there is nothing inherently wrong with clay pipes.

There is a system that can be used to line the old pipe with plastic. But you would really need to do this for the whole line and you would need permission, access and money contribution from all involved.

The first step is really a survey using a camera.

what sort of problems are you having, or what prompts the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

The original outdoor toilet is in this space, and I would like to do a small extension, keep the toilet obviously.

But when this toilet was installed decades ago, they broke into the clay pipe. So it's basically a broken pipe currently and will need to be replaced.

maybe something like this is what i need.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

This is all easy enough stuff for an experienced laborer. If you have a 4 inch pipe going into a 6 inch it is very straightforward. The main thing is to sort out your levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You can use a cupljbg like that, there is also a fitting that will go outside the 4" pipe and inside the clay pipe. This will naŕow the pipe but should be a smooth transition. Screfix sell these.

Google MCALPINE PUSH-FIT SINGLE SOCKET DRAIN CONNECTOR BLACK 110MM (4255V)

Obviously you'll need to check the interior diameter of your pipes

Advertisement