Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extraction sutures

Options
  • 28-12-2023 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭

Hi

I had an extraction over 3 weeks ago, the dentist put in a suture and said nothing about having to have them taken out.

It is still in there and does not seem to be breaking down, does over 3 weeks seem too long?

Thanks

Comments

Have had plenty of dental sutures, they take a couple of weeks to break down totally. They start to feel “soggy” as they are breaking down, and feel “ticklish”. I’m not recommending you or anyone else do this, but I once got fed up with the time it was taking for sutures to dissolve, and they were irritating me so I cut them carefully and pulled them out 😉 The sky didn’t fall and all had well healed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Thanks, just annoying me now! I'll give it another while!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭capnsparkles

Depends on the suture material. They have well done their job by now. Give the Dentist a call and ask them.

If they are braided black silk they do not dissolve, and unless they unravel they usually need to removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Twice recently. The first one got loose after a while and I snipped it with a small scissors after 8 - 10 days. The second one disappeared in the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

They came out overnight 4 weeks after the extraction thankfully!

Miss messing with them ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 dental_care

Yes, over 3 weeks is longer than the typical lifespan of dissolvable sutures used in tooth extractions. While the exact time for dissolving can vary depending on the type of suture used and individual healing factors, most dissolvable sutures used in oral surgery should break down and fall out within 7-10 days.

Advertisement