Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended alternative to Sky News channel

Options
  • 28-12-2023 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all , anyone got a good recommendation for Sky News that has 24hr rolling news for UK Ireland and world with no 'specials' on it just current news and headlines on free to air satellite channel?

So, for example this morning at 10.30am:

Sky News - A special programme on the Ukraine war.

BBC News 24 - a special on the king/royal family.

GB news - something on finances only.

Euronews - stuff was mainly europe with subtitles.

Is there any other 24hr news in English with UK Ireland world news I have missed on the FTA satellite channels (excluding RTE News Now) ?

Thanks for recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

No.

What you are looking for does not exist.

Sky News is the closest. Their specials are actually pretty rare, but its times like this (christmas Week), when there will be a load of them as they are working on a skeleton crew. Most of my news comes from CNN, Obviously Ireland rarely gets a mention on CNN, and its only if something very bad has happened.

CNN have their special reports too, so unless its a topic im interested in I mostly use that time to bounce to Sky or BBC.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

You just have to appreciate it’s the time of year OP. As poster above says, channels on skeleton staff, governments and courts closed, not a whole pile of news happening domestically at least.

Sky News normally is basically rolling news, the last vestiges of its original “news on the hour, features on the half hour” format were dumped in the early 2000s. BBC News is normally my channel of choice but it’s suffered huge cuts this year as a result of the merger of the domestic channel with BBC World and now it has to cover two audiences (domestic and international) without alienating either and it’s not proven great at it.

Advertisement