Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Question

Options
  • 28-12-2023 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hey all, the hot water cylinder in my apartment has started leaking and needs to be replaced. It's heated with a standard immersion heater and timer.

Just wondering is a straight up replacement of the cylinder the way to go or should I take the opportunity to change the system altogether?

I have a day night (nightsaver) meter currently so it makes sense that it runs on an immersion timer and takes advantage of the lower night rates.

But a plumber I asked said I should just install an always on electric water heater as they are insulted better. 

Is this the case or is there anything else I should consider?

Also will day night meters be changed to smart meters eventually anyway?

Post edited by Deadly Delta on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭embracingLife

Well in regards to the cylinder ask the plumber to clarify exactly what sort of cylinder he's talking about

Regards the night saver meter, these are being replaced with smart meters but still day/night version, so yes you might aswell benefit from the night rate to heat the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I suspect he means a small under sink heater with a standard and well insulated

maybe two, one in bathroom and one in kitchen

Post a picture of existing pls.

Do you have an elec shower?

heating 96 litres of hot water on night rate only makes sense if you have the demand, so maybe e plumber twigged you only need it intermittently

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement