Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Cabling

Options
  • 27-12-2023 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi,Thinking of switching from Sky FTTH to Eir FTTH.Will existing fibre drop wire to the house be used as dont want more drilling. Will existing termination box be replaced? Dont want a wall with unused equipment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,848 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yes it'll be the exisiting cable. Not sure on ONT.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Dermot224

Thanks,Anyone made this switch and know about the ONT (Termination box)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Fibre Cable won’t change but sometimes order requires the ont to be changed. Depending when you had fibre installed ont may be the same size so will just be a swap. Or could be slightly smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Most likely will come on same fibre but it depends on which wholesale network your Sky connection is through. If it’s OpenEir then would expect no change and almost certainly same for NBI but if you were SIRO then Eir don’t use them so if in a dual SIRO/OpenEir location then a change in fibre could occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Dermot224

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Dr.Seapig

Do different providers use different types of fibre? I have a FTTH junction box in my utility room. Virgin and Sky say its "Eir Fibre" and won't connect to it and instead want to drill holes into my house and use all my sitting room sockets for ONT box etc. Driving me insane trying to get it sorted as Eir don't actually deliver in my estate yet. VM and Sky both offering full fibre so cannot understand why they won't just use the infrastructure in my house I.e. pre-wired fibre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

virgin have their own fibre infrastruce that wont work wtih openeir fibre cable, suprised sky wont use it as there on the openeir network, wasnt aware they can use virgins infrastrucre

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dr.Seapig

There was a wholesale deal announced in Oct 2023 between Virgin and Sky. Until then, only virgin provided in my estate. So its good there's a bit more competition, but my heart is broken trying to get a provider to use the prewired fibre in my house and not start drilling holes all over the shop.

Advertisement