Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lexus RX hybrid - are they a good seller?

Options
  • 27-12-2023 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

I’m thinking of getting a 2010 or 2011 RX450h from the UK. Not too bad on taxes to bring in and low enough on motor tax.

I was thinking of getting one, drive it myself for a few months and then shift it on.

Not many of them on DoneDeal to compare against. Mostly the newer model with a dealers on there. Do people like them or is there some red flag about them that I don’t know?

TIA

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Just a very small volume seller here. Lexus never sold in big numbers in Ireland really. I'd guess Merc BMW and Audi sold 10 of their cars each for every one Lexus sold over the years.

That said, I'd buy a 12 year old one over a German if it was reliability I was looking for at that age

• Registered Users Posts: 7,919 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The only problem you will have with one of those is after driving it for the few months you won't want to sell it.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭goochy

Can't see how it makes sense to import duty will be high

• Registered Users Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭User1998

Terrible seller. Most people don’t even know they exist. I can point out several of them on Donedeal/Facebook that have been for sale for around a year now. I considered buying one to re sell but I could see how slow the market was on them so I didn’t bother as I change cars frequently and knew I’d get frustrated. They are absolutely lovely cars but be prepared to be stuck with it for several months at least.

I’ve owned an older model Rx400h which I sold within 30 days or so but that was a €3.5k car and it was during Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You can't bring them in from the UK now with the customs etc. Forget it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Alkers

How are these on fuel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I had an RX 400 a 2007 one for 10 years.

From what I remember early 30s MPG bur very comfortable and great power. The road tax was almost 2K per year from memory, so I would have paid 20K on road tax when I had it.

Very little to maintain it. Just the annual service and one timing belt. I had to change the radiator as it developed a leak and I had to change the pump for the headlamp washer.

A great car and the newer one will have less tax I believe.

Traded it after 10 years for 5K and cars of that age are still making 5K.

If u think u are going to import one . Drive it for a bit then sell it easily think again

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

They are good around town for a big heavy jeep but if you have a heavy right foot they can be thirsty, like any SUV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Thanks for all the replies folks. Definitely not a quick seller then. I’ll sleep on this one a bit…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭kincaid

What about the NX300 hybrid 2016 on, they seem to be rare and not many looking for the compared to Hyundai and kia etc

I’d forgotten about those but I don’t want that much tied up in a car I could be lumbered with!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭kincaid

So you think the resale value on these are not great

Its not the resale value its how long they take to sell. They are a niche product. Something like a Touareg or Tucson are a lot more main stream.

why would you want to buy and sell a few months later ? i assume you think you can beat depreciation ??

But not with one of these from the uk

Depends, I can get a VAT refund from the UK, and its cheap VRT being a hybrid.

For someone who can’t get a VAT refund it probably isn’t worth it. Maybe theres some value up North.

My pie in the sky idea was buy cheap, drive a nice car for a few months and shift it on and hopefully make a few quid. I’d have my (un)trusty C5 on stand by.

The cheapest NX on DoneDeal is 23k. Don’t want that much money tied up in something.

While a Tuscon etc will sell much quicker, I don’t think I could bring myself to drive something so mainstream!

• Advertisement

Buy a modern classic in Ireland .you might not make money but you are unlikely to loose any . Pre brexit your idea might have stood up but not. Now

Advertisement