Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to set up a family tree - best website to use?

Options
  • 27-12-2023 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I am half thinking about recording the names, details of my ancestors.

I have seen a website called:

https://www.tribalpages.com/index.html

Before I open an account, I wonder might people on here have any advice?

Is it an okay website?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Reply doubled please delete.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've never heard of it before.

What's your aim in putting it online vs offline software?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I have no particular aim.

I just want to be able to create and print a family tree going back a few generations.

I never heard of that website either. I have several private family trees on Ancestry. I also have them on my computer on Excel spreadsheets, backed up of course. Excel is great however the bigger the tree gets the trickier it can get manoeuvring the cells around, and although it is now a bit unwieldy it's fine for me. I also have a print out of the spreadsheets. I'd never have them in only one place as I feel that's not secure enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Is there a feature in Excel to make them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

There's several good open source / freeware family tree applications available.

Gramps either standalone

or as one of many portableapps available

• it's in the education section.

or Simple Family Tree

or many alternatives

https://alternativeto.net/software/gramps/

Post edited by FishOnABike on

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

I looked a tribal pages years back....2007!! I think one of advantages was sharing and allowing others to access the data and update etc. I have a very old Ancestry tree that is only on my own laptop via a DVD ... goes back to 2012 I think. I dont need to use the DVD when moving to new laptop... data moves somehow! Just as well as no DVD reader on present device and desktop computer long gone. A very basic version is online on Ancestry.co.uk.

Nope! At least none that I know of. I just kept adding people and expanding whichever way it went. You'd need some experience of Excel. I've done courses but really most of what I know I picked up myself, I'm not an expert but I can move it around enough to serve my purpose. I have come a cropper a few times when there is far too big a family to add but I manage best I can.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Easiest way to do this is register a free account on Ancestry and use their tree builder.

Offline lots of options: Legacy, Reunion, Family Tree Maker, Family Historian, Genopro. They all offer free trials.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement