Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New RC Crawler stuttering then dead

Options
  • 27-12-2023 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

My son got a new FTX Kanyon for Christmas. We went out yesterday for half an hour trough grass and on a path through a forest for half an hour until battery died. Recharged battery this morning and out again today. Worked for less than a minute, then started stuttering, stop start, stop start..... Took home and changed batteries on controller and tried charging battery again. Batteries all good, but stuttering is worse now, not even moving. When turning on the "do, re, me" goes in opposite way, as if powering off. I haven't a clue here. Fiddled with all the cables, but I think they are okay?

Anybody out there any ideas? We have no idea where to start.

Even to bring it somewhere for someone to look at in Waterford area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I've no knowledge of that model but those symptoms to me in anycase would indicate a flat battery. It could be that the charger is faulty, a bad battery, or perhaps even a issue with the motor or the steering servo or the ESC (speed control). This time of the year everything is wet so water damage is a real possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 corollake35

Thanks T-Maxx. Yes we were out in wet, but not through the wet, not through puddles. I'm going to leave overnight. Charge the battery again, and fire it up tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

See if you can disconnect the steering servo and what effect that has. Likewise disconnect the motor and see if you can eliminate one or the other as culprits. It the esc is fried you'll get the same symptoms without either the steering or motor connected.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Speculation: The speed controller likely has a cutoff when the voltage drops.

If a rechargeable battery is damaged, or cheap make or standard, it can't handle high load without the voltage fading fast.

So, here is a test: does the problem only occur when throttle is raised over some invisible threshold. ie if you try to work it at low speed does your problem go away. That test result would diagnose battery at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 corollake35

Thanks for taking the time to reply lads.

I think I have it sorted now. I got a USB charger with the truck, ie. no plug. So I plugged the charger into a phone USB plug which I think was not powerful enough to charge the battery (1 amp plug). So I'm charging through laptop for time being and all good now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement