Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on buying Golf Clubs

Options
  • 27-12-2023 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

I've tried taking up golf for a few years but between having kids, moving jobs, Covid and lately ACL injury I'd still classify myself as a total beginner!!

I have Spalding Beginner Set which I got second hand and must be 15 years or older. I'm interested in getting a new set of clubs for a beginner/intermediate. I don't mind second hand clubs as I know how expensive clubs are and would be willing to build up a new set over time if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate your input. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Do a bit of research and have an idea of what you like the look of. Then go to somewhere like The Golf Studio in Celbridge and have a look around. Not sure where you're based but the golf studio has a decent selection of second hand clubs in stock. They'll let you test out a few different types to see what works for you.

Providing you don't need anything out of the ordinary like longer or shorter than standard, then you should be fine with a set off the rack for now. If they have nothing you like, then at least you'll get a feel for a few different types of clubs.

This time of year would be good for looking on Adverts etc. People will have gotten new clubs for Xmas and will be selling their old sets so you might get a decent deal.

Failing that, you could get a fitting done in McGuirks for around €50 and you'll have a solid idea of what you need. You could then either buy new from them, or take the specs and use them to inform your search for decent second hand sets.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Can I ask have you had your ACL reconstruction surgery done yet and if so how long ago?

You need to be very careful coming back from it, I’ve coached at a very high level for a good few years and have seen a few players suffering ACL injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Thanks for the advice!

CharlieIRL its been 12 months since my ACL surgery its actually my third (and hopefully last!!) ACL injury as I won't be going back to contact sport just Golf and gym work from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

If you are a total beginner, I would recommend going the second hand route. Too early for custom fitting until you grow into your swing. As noted above, you should find decent value on adverts. Do a bit of research there and folks here will let you know if what you like the look of is good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Second this, if you are Tallaght (as your name suggests) the Golf Studio in Celbridge is a good place to start. Adverts.ie another good place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 go1f

I'm in a similar position. Played a little bit but still consider myself to be more or less a beginner. I have toyed with the idea of buying a new set of clubs for a while now, but like you I have an old cheap package set which are about 15 years old and seem to be perfectly fine for the level I am at.

I picked up a bag on adverts with a couple of Ping oversized irons last year and they are certainly more forgiving than the cheaper package set. I would agree with the other comments, look on adverts for something decent and second hand. I went with the Ping oversized for their forgiveness and in particular with the oversized club heads.

I have recently done some lessons and the advice I got was to stick with my existing Ping irons for now but if I was to upgrade any clubs to look at a more modern driver / woods as the technology has improved quite a bit in the last 15 years. Again, I picked up a driver from adverts with the ability to make adjustments to suit my swing.

Post edited by go1f on

Advertisement