Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heptavac P Supply Issues

Options
  • 27-12-2023 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭

has anyone heard if this is a temporary issue? doesn't seem to be available anywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

Just use Covexin 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭DJ98

If sheep were always done with heptavac would you have to start again now with 2 shots of covexin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

Good question - not sure about that but I switched to Covexin about 3 years ago and just gave the 1 shot and no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

does covexin cover P+, pASTUREULLA?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

No, ovipast works on pastuerella, we used to find pasturella common enough in post mortems so would always make sure to cover the p.

We chaged to covexin + Ovipast for a few years when the post mortems showed something that wasn't covered by Heptavac P

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭OrangeBadger

Is it vital to vaccinate sheep?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Depends on your system IMHO, if its low intensive like mine where they get the run of the place along with the cattle and grass is plentiful and rarely hit a stressed point I wouldn't bother.

Few years ago, bought in stores were the only animals I gave Heptavac, but these would have been ran intensively over winter grass and pushed hard.

High intensive where they are pushed hard think it would be wise to do Heptavac P.

I think breeds help too, since I stopped using Suffolk terminal ram, far less dead lambs due to pulpy kidney etc.

I personally would vacinate breeding sheep for enzo and toxo though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Years ago a neighbour got bad health a month before lambing and never vaccinated, his son that had no interest in farming had to lamb the ewes.

he used to bring the sick lambs to us but we couldn't save them, they'd be in spasms when we'd get them , he lost quite a few that time.

When we had over 500 ewes, we'd always vaccinate the ewes but with maybe 8 -900 older lambs, we'd wait for two or three to die of clostridial be fore vaccinating and most years there wouldn't be even one and we wouldn't have to vaccinate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭DJ98

See sheepproducts.ie had heptavac p back in stock this morning briefly, managed to source some from them thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭glenkeo

I can't seem to get any heptavac p for ewes booster dose before lambing. my local store only has tribovac 10. does anyone know if it is any good and will 1 dose do to replace the hep p or would i need to start again with 2 doses

Advertisement