Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hornady ammunition issues

Options
  • 26-12-2023 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Hi all ,

I've had some serious issues with hornady 223 lately , so much so I've swapped from hornady to Fiochhi EPNs, (hornady heads)

The issues seems to be the primers , misfire after misfire to the point where I am not confident in the safety of the ammunition 6 failure to fires in 40 rounds of ammunition, and one click bang hangfire.

Hornady frontier is especially bad I used to use it for the range as it held the same POI in my rifle , however that seems to be contract ammunition from Lake City with hard primers (assuming 556 primers)

Has anyone else had issues with hornady ammunition lately ?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

I have heard a lot of folks return partial boxes of Frontier 223 after having similar performance issues.

Hard primers are definitely currently a thing, but the consistency of the frontier stuff has also gone down a lot, while the price has risen to >1 euro a round.

Its just not worth it at the moment IMO.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,953 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I was known for having misfire after misfire with .308 Hornady steel match(discontinued)at Bullseye 360.Could have been as bad as 2to 3 per 12 round shoot.Hard or too deeply set primers as I would have to re cock to get a shot.This is even with a replacement HD Wolff hammer spring.

Hornady was known for having problems with steel match and denying to everyone that there was a problem either in 308 and 223. So it looks like their problems with their "cheap target ammo " is still ongoing . No problem with their more expensive products either target or hunting amno

Sellier &Bellot is a better option in bulk these days

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement