Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increased WiFi issues : featuring Vodafone gigabox.

Options
  • 26-12-2023 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi folks,

Hoping someone might be able to steer me in the right direction. I've had nothing but issues every night for the past two weeks with my Vodafone gigabox router. For context, I have 4x Google nest cameras (2 standard, 1 wired doorbell, 1x indoor) ; and every single night without fail, they disconnect from WiFi. (I also have two Google nest hubs). Another thread stated the gigabox resets every night to designate a new IP address, and I'm wondering if that is causing the issues? The outdoor cameras can only connect to 2.4ghz and I'm wondering if congestion (13-16 devices) on said home network was preventing the cameras getting their place on that frequency? The interesting thing is the indoor one normally rejoins, presumably because it can leverage the 5ghz frequency and doesn't have to "battle" with any other devices? From a fix perspective ,I wanted to try to split the 2.4/5ghz frequencies so that I could just have the outdoor cameras sit on their own designated network per se, but having tried in the router portal, and following a call with Vodafone, they don't allow splitting anymore on the Gigabox. Absolutely mental if you ask me as it seems like a very crude way of trying to upsell their "super WiFi" booster service. Needless to say I'm not paying for that. They actually said that the tp-link I use was causing the issues entirely - which I find hard to believe as I've since unplugged and the issue persists.

I'm absolutely not technically minded when it comes to home networks. So with that in mind, what is my best solution here? Can I just use my Gigabox as a modem, and leverage a new Wi-Fi point via one of the LAN ports, then split out the frequencies? Could I just keep it super simple and only have a WiFi extender or power line broadcast only in 2.4ghz, and use that as a dedicated service for the cameras?

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Gar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Personally i'd prefer cable connected CAM's, but not always possible

There was few threads here how to split SSID on VF router since their "awful" decision to hide the function.

If you want full control over your WiFi get independent solution and disable VF WiFi altogether

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

See this thread, #14 should help

Advertisement