Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New GPU (and CPU?) for 1440p High Refresh

Options
  • 26-12-2023 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Been pushing off upgrading my GPU for a long time (wanted to get a 3080 at launch but Covid did its thing) and now's the time to bite the bullet methinks.

Current specs:

CPU: R5 3600

GPU: R9 380 (Ya that's right, rough)

RAM: 16Gb 3600Mhz

MOBO: B550 Strix A Gaming White

Cooler: Lian Li Galahad 240 White

Case: Phanteks 360A

PSU: Corsair RM750x white (might be 2018 edition, not sure but it's only about a year old I'd say)

SSD: Have a cheap western digital 1TB NVME and a 2TB Sn850x that I just picked up recently.

Daily drivers I play are Rust, CS2 (but the 380 won't have it), Valorant and Siege. Want to play other stuff I've been putting off though like Cyberpunk, few AC games, Sekiro, GOW, Dark souls, Hogwarts legacy, Avatar, Starfield, maybe rerun Witcher. Don't think I give a shag about ray tracing really and would like to avoid upscaling largely speaking.

Have a 1440p 165Hz display so looking to get something around RX 6950XT performance and could pick one up from Germany for about €600 new as I've family that can ship from mindfactory but, the power consumption is crazy relative to something like an RTX 4070 but, that's a bit of a turn off with just 12Gb VRAM so bit lost as where to go beyond that. 6950XT with some undervolting banking on silicon lottery??

Whatever I do upgrade to will be bottlenecked by my CPU in the short term which is a balls but the primary issue is getting off this GPU as I can't stick it much longer however, any thoughts on a CPU upgrade path would be appreciated. As you can see, I don't upgrade too often so am considering just picking up a 5800X3d and a new set of ram to bring me up to 32Gb. I would rather stick with the AM4 platform as she looks nice enough and don't really have the inclination to budget for a new platform but I' not entirely opposed to going AM5.

Ideally wouldn't want to spend more than €1000 or so on both the GPU and any potential CPU upgrade but budget isn't especially strict and will be flexible if it's worth it.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

5800X3D wouldn't be too bottlenecked TBH.

Main thing is to wait until mid-late January 2024 when RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Bumping this thread again now that we've seen the super lineup. Leaning towards a 5700X3D to use the AM4 platform and a 4070Ti Super/RX 7900XT. Maybe another 16Gb of ram to give that extra headroom and fill out the MOBO. Just not sure am I better off paying the premium for the Nvidia gpu or go with team red?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

7900xt is stronger from a pure power point of view and cheaper, although Nvidia has better ray tracing and dlss3 frame generation is more mature than fsr3. Personally I'd get either the 7900xt or rtx 4070 super.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

7900 XT & 4070 Ti Super are basically the same performance. If you can find 7900 XT for significantly cheaper, I can see the argument for it; but I'd also lean towards an Nvidia card to turn up the details while using DLSS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

From what I've seen the 7900xt is a little stronger across the board and can be got around 100 euro cheaper, dlss3 is the real deal breaker imo, if it was a 50euro difference I'd go rtx but at a 100euro and with fsr3 starting to be a thing I'd go AMD, saying all of that I'd just save more money and get the 4070 super.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

One thing I will say is that although I think AMD offer better raw value, DLSS is way better than FSR.

I actually recently switched from Nvidia to AMD and the quality of FSR in some games is absolute crap compared to DLSS.

Now with something like an 7900XT it's not going to be an issue right now at 1440p given the raw power of the card is more than good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

I think I do want to go for minimum 16GB of VRAM as I don't tend to upgrade too often.

Both cards have been dropping slowly. 4070ti Super is retailing for €865 in Germany and the 7900XT for €739 so about €125 the difference. I'm still leaning toward Nvidia for DLSS, especially with HUB regarding DLSS quality as trading blows with native 1440p but not sure if I'm being a bit drawn in by the mindshare here a bit. Any thought at those price points?

CPU wise, think I'm best to bite the bullet on a 5800X3D rather than going to the trouble and cost of AM5. Should be mostly on par with 7600x so hopefully not too much of a CPU bottleneck there?

Cheers again

Advertisement