Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring a 2nd Hand Car I Just Bought

Options
  • 26-12-2023 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

Just bought a 2nd hand car and want to find out if it is possible to transfer the insurance from the old car to this one.

The new one isn’t registered in my name as of yet. Logbook has been sent off by the person I bought from.

Chill are not open til tomorrow so I’ll call them then to find out but no harm in asking here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Yes it's possible to transfer policy from one car when you buy another. Just call insurance company and tell them new reg number and answer any questions they have. They might charge you extra though depending on car and insurance company.

Is this just your second time buying a car?

There's never a problem doing this just so you know for future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Yes second time.

just wanted to make sure the car didnt actually need to be registered in my name yet to insure it. Previous owner has sent off the logbook but what with the time of year, it might take a week or two before they send me a new logbook with me as the owner.

hope Im making sense here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Perfect sense yeah. You'll be insured from the time the person on the phone tells you you're covered, but don't drive until then.

You made it a tiny bit awkward with time of year and having to wait a few days but equally that could apply to buying a car at 6 pm on a Friday evening and not being able to get onto your insurance until a Monday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 18,873 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You own the car when you pay for it so you can insure it straight away, the VLC just confirms you own it as when you buy a new or imported car you don't get the VLC till you tax it. As you own it you or your spouse can't drive it using the "Driving other cars" extension on your insurance, but a friend or relative can drive once they don't require it to be insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

OP, can you create an online account with the company you are insured with, not the broker, this would allow you to change details online out of office hours

• Advertisement
Advertisement