Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Storage Heater with Electric fire

Options
  • 26-12-2023 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I have an old storage heater in my kitchen/living space that is rarely used. We only use the convector switch in the evenings when it is very cold. Something like this:

I wanted to ask if removing this completely and replacing with an electric fireplace is a good/bad idea. We would like to have something like the below instead:

Any comments? Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Given your current usage of the boost function only, it’s not an unreasonable proposition. So you are not using the storage function at all?

Dimplex Opti-Myst have some products like what you have photographed and have a very realistic appearance. They are incredibly expensive though for what they are and I couldn’t bring myself to spend the money!

The cost of a 2KW electric heater (is whatever format) is probably about €50 - €100, so anything above this is purely aesthetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Len_Brennan

Hi Lenar, thanks for the reply.

Yes the heater is rarely used at all, and actually has quite a bad smell when in use.

I'm mostly thinking about the aesthetics and saving space to be honest, to have a nice fitted electric fire and TV on one wall.

I read in the past that replacing a central storage heater with an electric fire like above isn't the best idea, but the room itself is relatively warm as is.

Advertisement