Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost channels. Any idea what might be wrong?

Options
  • 26-12-2023 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hello. Hope you had a nice Christmas, mine was a bit different to what l had planned!

I have an outdoor aerial, and a tv that must have a freeview or saorview built in, as l received rte, tg4, virgin, bbc , utv, ch4, and a whole host of free to air channels without the need of a separate freeview box.

Now, l have no idea about these things, but wonder could anyone advise what might have gone wrong? Xmas eve l lost all but the irish channels. Still have good picture for rte, tg4, virgin etc but nothing at all on the other channels, it just says " no signal".

I can't get anyone out to look at it now for love nor money, so wonder if anyone could advise me on what l should check. We wouldn't watch that much rte, so its really put a dampener on xmas to effectively be without the tv.

We have two tvs recieving signal from the aerial, and both are now exactly the same. Fine for irish channels but " no signal" for anything else.

No idea if this is going to be a major job, or something that might be a simple fix. Perhaps theres something l should be checking myself, as looks like it could be weeks before anyone will be out here to look at it.

Many thanks for any advice.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'm no expert but with both tv's affected it sounds like an aerial or cabling issue. Would the aerial have moved due to the wind?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

90 percent the wind impacted it. Often when quality is marginal bad weather can knock some of the channels out. Then weather improves it comes back

I have that the odd time with my soarview aerial. Haven't bothered my arse fine tuning the aerial to improve it.

It happens a few occasions a year il lose a handful of channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 imme62

Thanks for replying. Its entirely possible, but l'm thinking that might have affected the reception on the lrish channels, but they are as clear as ever. Pity it should have happened now, as theres not a whole lot on rte l find....

Thanks listermint. That could well be the problem, although im wondering if it would knock out all the freeview and uk channels together? Thats a lot of channels gone. No wind here today, so ill be hoping it comes back...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Your Saorview signal is most likely a lot stronger than the Freeview signal so a slight movement of the aerial would only affect the latter.

Where about in the country are you located? Approx!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Freeview UK signal suggests border counties or Wexford(ish) ?

A sat dish is probably the best bet for free UK channels that won't be as susceptible to weather.

KaneToad thanks. Yes, Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

If you are not using a satellite dish for the UK channels, chances are you have 2 aerials on the roof. One pointing north towards Enniskillen (Brougher mtn) and the other aimed south to Longford (Cairn hill). If so, the northern one has a problem.

Advertisement