Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it legal to record someone in public?

Options
  • 24-12-2023 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Can anyone record someone else in public? I recently did a CPR/ AED course and the trainer said if people start recording us to say 'you do not have my permission to record me'

I have been trying to google and coming out with mixed responses, but it seems like it's not actually illegal and that people can continue.

I did see about harassment recording, but someone coming across me using an AED would be a one off not continuous following me around

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

No it is not illegal - there is no presumption of privacy in public, “permission” doesn’t come into it

Them first aid instructors always have a high opinion of their self importance and their knowledge of the law. Both are usually far from the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's a crime in Germany to record someone who's a victim of an accident but no law exists here afaik. There was a bill but I don't think it progressed to legislation https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/bill/2022/74/eng/initiated/b7422d.pdf

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 28,592 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Slightly better advice would be to tell the person recording that they don't have your consent to process your data. This rules out them relying on consent as the legal basis for processing.

They could probably rely on other bases such as journalistic exemption or household exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

You can record to your hearts content but your permission to publish this is a different matter. The right to privacy despite being in a public setting could be questioned based on what they are actually doing.

Recording someone just walking down the road Vs that same person doing criminal damage on that road and you publishing online each recording would be a ok in the first case and not in the second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

With say Tourists taking photos and videos in a public place, I’d say you’d have a “job” on your hands exercising any “rights” you believe you have.

Home Video doorbells have actually brought this issue more to the surface than say people videoing random stuff/people in a public place.

This is where the personal’ or ‘household exemption’ from the GDPR (under Article 2(2)(c) and Recital 18 GDPR). comes into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Have heard before people can take photos and videos anywhere, don't agree with it but guess that's just the way things are going !

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

It is not illegal to record someone in public, but if you are in a room and someone is teaching you something, they can simply refuse to teach you if you insist on recording them. If I was teaching you, I would stop until you stopped. After that, I would ask you to leave.

I am completely unconnected to this instance, but am a first responder. I would not allow you to record me. What can I do about it? Probably just walk away or you could find your view blocked by 5 or 6 people standing in your way. There is a great video online of a dope recording a crash and the policeman challenged them and made the man look at the dead bodies seeing he wanted to record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ffetIbzyK8

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Triapin

What law are you relying on to arrive at this conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭heretothere

I didn't think he was correct, but didn't ask more because he seemed very sure where as I only suspected he wasn't right.

I know we are all in 1000s of pics/ videos without our consent in the background etc but I hate this whole 'start recording everything" way some people are

• Advertisement
Advertisement