Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to official Canon ink

Options
  • 24-12-2023 7:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hey all

I do occasional printing of family photos on a Canon Pro 100s. I print very infrequently and because of that I think the cartridges are drying out quickly.

I tend to buy official Canon CLI-42 cartridges which can cost over €120 a go, because they’re drying out I don’t get a good return. I tried one non official set and I wasn’t happy with the results but does anyone have a good non official brand recommendation which you think might work for me?

Thanks

Patrick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I know I'm not answering your question, but like yourself, I printed photos so infrequently, the ink in my old Canon Pixma was going to shyte. Now I just put whatever photos I want to print onto a USB stick and bring it to the machine in the local chemist to print there. It's much more economical for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 irewestlad

Yeah I’ve considered that as well, I just enjoy the act of printing at home if I could get the ink costs down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Firblog

Other option is to change the printer to an Ink tank one - much much cheaper printing.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Have you tried 123ink.ie? I'd seen them recommended for compatible inks over the years, but hadn't looked at their website properly until spring last year. I paint as well as enjoying taking photos, and am very picky about colours. After an expensive mistake with a certain Epson all-in-one (that is, not waiting for the customer reviews to appear, with their longer-term experiences!), I used my refund to get my first Canon (Pixma) one, which was very obliging, but wouldn't accept any compatibles I tried.

When that one finally died after a long life, I chose another Pixma. The usual places had sold out of the model I wanted by then, but 123ink happened to have it. Not knowing how long the enclosed cartridges would last, (and wanting to test the printer without avoidable complications), I bought a set of original Canon ones. Then had a call from a puzzled man at 123, explaining that their compatibles are made under licence, with access to the right technology (So 'official compatibles', perhaps?) It was only then that I read the website properly, and am confident enough to have ordered a set of their compatibles, to save hassle when the first cartridges I bought start running out.

What I can't do yet, I'm afraid, is comment on them. (I'm on a tight budget but hate false economies, the XXL sizes of the 'official official' cartridges made sense, and I haven't had the spare time to do enough printing to make them run out!).

Post edited by Fogmatic on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

I've used the 123ink compatible cartridges in my canon pixma and they work just as well as the originals for me.

We've bought the Tesco compatibles in the past and they were a disaster, so we returned them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 irewestlad

Thanks all, I decided to go for the 123ink option

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Can you pick up at 123 ink,I think its delivery only?

Advertisement