Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ftth install issues duct too deep

Options
  • 23-12-2023 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi

so Circet called to me last week to install fibre on behalf of sky. The installer used the cat to find the duct from the chamber to my house.

He tells me he found the duct but it is 1M below ground. The house was build early 70’s. I’m happy for them to dig the garden to get at the duct ant take it from there they will not do the work as the duct is too deep.

can anyone tell me if this is normal? The duct was installed by the telco most likely P&T is it unreasonable to expect them to access the duct and complete the install?

They will have similar issues across the estate around 150 houses what is normal in terms of the install?

to confuse matters a little the feedback to sky was that the duct is blocked !!!!

I don’t even know where to start.

some advice would be fantastic

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

It doesn't matter how deep the duct is below ground level. What matters is that the installers can access each end of the pipe. If they can't then as they have reported the duct is blocked.

What you will need to do is find both ends of the duct and do whatever work is necessary so that the installers can get to it. You will need to find the ends first. I assume one is at the house and relatively easily accessible and that the other is out near the boundary. If so you need to dig up where the end is near the boundary and find the end of the pipe. You can then extend the pipe to a suitable location at ground level.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Is there definitely a duct. I’ve known circet lads to do the dig at 1m with no issues. If house was built back in 70s chances are it’s an armoured cable buried in ground so no duct present from house to manhole.

Advertisement