Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wish me luck

Options
  • 23-12-2023 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I am going to end the grip smoking has had on me from early Jan. I just don't have the appetite to take it on now over Christmas, but am determined within the 1st week in Jan to stop. I'm not going to go for it now, I'll muddle through Christmas. I've 3 kids, 2 in their teens. It's causing problems in the family, and the kids despise me for it. The one solace I get is they won't ever fall into the same trap.

I've been smoking 30+ years. I was off them for 2 years over Covid after going the Champix route. Appears to be off the market now so I'm going to just go for it solo. Even committing to it here, in writing, to a bunch of strangers helps. Wish me luck...!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Gardener

Best of luck, I'm off them six years in April, and if I can do it so can you! I was a dedicated smoker for forty odd years, you'll find the best way of giving them up for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Iguarantee

If you’re want to quit exceeds your want to smoke you’ll succeed.

I’ve done it. It’s worth it.

I wish you success, truly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A friend of mine gave up smoking years ago because he knew it was catching up with him.

He put the money he used to spend on cigarettes aside and used it to buy equipment for his hobby.

He loved the hobby but had never been able to afford the proper gear.

Being able to buy the best of everything instead of struggling with third rate stuff and others cast offs transformed his life.

He never went back on the smokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭zacharius

Thanks. I'm in a hole, but already seeing hope. Kicking them for 2 years was unreal, but I remember it being a 2 year on-going fight that I eventually lost. But this will help, having a sounding board to just post things will help. Happy Christmas, looking forward to the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,803 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Best thing I ever did, hands down, was kicking the poxy fags. It's over 20 years ago now, and it was about my 4th attempt, but oh boy was I ready that time.

I still hit road bumps along the way - situations where I'd have reached for a cigarette without even thinking - that I had to get through, but once I'd done each one once, it was never as difficult again.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭nachouser

Best of luck. I went to a vape this time last year. I was on 20 Marlboro red a day. I still need the nicotine, so far, but it costs me about 12 euro a week instead of 100 or so I was spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Best of luck, I've heard a few people recommend the HSE quit service lately after one of them used it successfully and the others followed suit.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

🤞 Best of luck to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dockysher

Best of luck. But why wait for Jan 1st, just start now.

It's exactly the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

Good luck! Alan Carr's stop smoking book did it for my wife.

I just got more and more sick of them like you did and gave them up after I was sick and not able to smoke.

Happy Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Numbersman

Best of luck with the quit we’re all behind you !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭blade1

It'll be 10 years on 14th of Jan since I gave them up.

Didn't want to give them up but had enough of coughing and choking in bed every night

And trust me if I can do it anyone can.

It will be tough and at the start you'll probably give everyday thinking of them but put the foot down and refuse to give in to them and as the weeks go by you'll start forgetting about them for longer periods each time.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Redneck Avenger

I'm off them over 2 years where i had 20 a day habit for over 25 years.

I also went the Champix route and the last maintenance pack was Zyban as Champix was discontinued.

Medication was the only success for me after trying everything else.

You may want to speak to your gp as I believe Zyban is now the preferred replacement. i'm not sure if that is also discontinued.

Good luck on your journey.

Post edited by Redneck Avenger on

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭thehairygrape

Best of luck. Never smoked but family members did and gave up eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Numbersman

How’s it been with the new year have you kicked the quit off yet?

Advertisement