Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tile Flooring

Options
  • 23-12-2023 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi Guys -

I got big tiles (60x120) on the ground floor of my house however unfortunately i got a very bad tiler who hasn't done a great job. Some of the tiles are not level next to each other and he didnt remove the skirting before putting on the tiles so the finishing where the tiles touch the skirting does not look good.

I am thinking of putting on beading / scotia on the skirting so that it covers the part where the tiles connect with the skirting. Would that be the best way to have a clean look now or would you recommend any other option?

Secondly, for the tiles which are not level, is it possible to remove that tile and reattach it so that it is level?

I'm really dissapointed as the tiles were quite expensive and the tiler seemed to be in a rush to finish up the work for chirstmas and was late every day and left early every day as well and i think he has done a very rushed job just to get it done. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated ☹️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

Beading around the skirting is the best option. Its practically impossible to take a tile up now and replace with new tile evenly. You have to consider each tile is nearly one Sq yard and a lot of time would be involved removing a tile. What if the tile next in line gets chipped or cracks when trying to replace the tile. You then end up replacing almost two Sq yards and so on. I dont think a tiler in Ireland would ever take that on no matter what the money.

Why tell us the tiler arrived late and left early every day ??? Who cares and what has his time keeping got to do with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

What did the tiler say when you told him you weren't happy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ManUnited123

Time keeping shows professionalism. We had someone come in for laminate and they were extremely professional, right on time and did the work perfectly without any issues and didnt make lame excuses why they couldn’t be there on time. For me, this is just a mark of a professional.

He was supposed to start on Tuesday at 12. Didn’t come on Tuesday but instead came from Wed and that too 2 hours late then what time he told me. Then said he’ll stay late and finish all the work on Thursday. Again came an hour late on Thursday, told me in the morning he will stay late and complete the job but then at 4 he messaged me to say he’s leaving and will definitely finish on Friday before 1. On Friday again came late, seemed in a hurry to just get it done and never answered any of my concerns in detail. He had said he has to finish up at 1 but kept working till 4 just to get the job done. At the end also told me we are short of tiles so i had to run and get extra tiles for him. I asked him every day if he had enough tiles and the answer was always yes and it just magically changed to no in the last hour. I think the guy just had some other jobs to go to or wanted to just wrap up before Christmas and decided to screw me over

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ManUnited123

He said he’d come around in January to have a look at it but my experience with him has been poor so i just went ahead and got beading put on now on the sides. Only issue I’m left with now is with a couple of tiles not being level and i might get him to look into it but will need to buy extra tiles now for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭piplip87

You should buy a couple of boxes and keep them in your shed or attic as well. Accidents happen and if one breaks in the future and they are no longer stocked you are buying a whole new floor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Going by the OP, the tiler should be buying the extra boxes if his work is requires laying new tiles. A professional tiler, or one that takes pride in their work would not be rushing a job, and would certainly not be coming to site late and leaving early.

One or two tiles over for accidents is fine, but most people are not so accident probe as to need multiple m² of tiles.

It's easy to remove a tile that is down without damaging tiles adjacent to it. Obviously, that tile being removed is destroyed..

I am not a pro tiler, rather a self taught DiY one. I have laid 10's of m² of floor tiles and never had one come loose, and I can get them very level. The later is a basic requirement on floors, especially with large format tiles.

If getting a pro in, I would expect a level floor. After all, they charge quite a lot per m².

Was removing the skirting boards specified in the job? If not, it's probably something that should have been discussed. A grout edge to board should still give a clean finish without the need for Scotia trim,.latter is more for covering an expansion gap when laminate is laid with boards in situ

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

Firstly most tilers will tell you to get skirting removed and replaced afterwards at your expense. Its not what tilers want to get involved with, they would normally remove the wooden skirting if its to be replaced with a tiled skirting afterwards. It should have been made clear before tiler started what the preference was to be.

Its not an easy job to remove a well stuck tile. Your tiles are 4X2 feet. The risk of cracking or chipping the adjacent tiles is to great.

I wonder why he didnt spread levelling if the floor was uneven. Also did he use a tile leveling system, Google it. Its a must for large format tiles and does a fairly good job at smoothening out the floor. Checking Of The Evenness Of Laying Tiles With Profile Level Stock Photo - Download Image Now - iStock (istockphoto.com)

May I ask roughly what sort of money you paid and for how many Sq M.

Advertisement