Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‘Safe’ Christmas Movies

Options
  • 23-12-2023 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been discussed before but I would really love to create a ‘safe’ watchlist for parents that we can just click without fear that they’ll be some doubt raised about the big Fear Dearg.

I’m sick of clicking on supposedly ‘family friendly movies’ that end up with unsuitable content that leaves children questioning.

Ive checked on review websites before watching movies to see if movies are safe and have still been caught out.. Santa Paws being my last blunder…( I know it gets there in the end but it still sows doubts in the mean time)

Please give suggestions!

So the ‘good’ Safe List

1. Candy Cane Lane - safe

Vs 

The Naughty List

1. Diary of a Wimpy Kid Christmas
    2. Santa Paws

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 13,769 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Most Christmas films have the element of doubt. Somebody doesn't believe, or is disheartened and the magic of Christmas makes everyone believe in the end.

A lot of time the non-believers stuff is ignored by children because they 100% believe and are just watching a film. My friend said they watched Diary of a Wimpy Kid this week and her children didn't notice a thing.

Favourites in our house are

The Christmas Chronicles (1&2)

Miracle on 34th St

Polar Express

Elf

Home Alone

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Santa Claus the Movie (oldie, haven't watched it in a while)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Kids either believe or the don't, there is no real middle ground! My ten year old gets a bit awkward anytime when santy is mentioned this year. Dosn't get too excited about what the elf on the shelf has done overnight. It didn't stop him writing his letter though! Some of the the movies do it well. Elf for example it's all about believing in santy to power the sleigh which I loved

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

There is a series of now 3 movies on Netflix that are Dutch/Belgian. So they are dubbed. But we quite enjoyed them.

I never did Santa with my kids so I never had to worry about movies "outing" the truth to them. But these three movies start with the premise that one of the main characters is himself Santa Claus. So there is no real theme of "doubt" in them. So I reckon they would fit on your safe list.

My two older kids (now 9 and 13) quite enjoyed the first 2 movies. They are simple but magical and quite beautiful in their themes and acting. Planning to watch the third one today actually.

Advertisement