Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‘Safe’ Christmas Movies

Options
  • 23-12-2023 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been discussed before but I would really love to create a ‘safe’ watchlist for parents that we can just click without fear that they’ll be some doubt raised about the big Fear Dearg.

I’m sick of clicking on supposedly ‘family friendly movies’ that end up with unsuitable content that leaves children questioning.

Ive checked on review websites before watching movies to see if movies are safe and have still been caught out.. Santa Paws being my last blunder…( I know it gets there in the end but it still sows doubts in the mean time)

Please give suggestions!

So the ‘good’ Safe List

1. Candy Cane Lane - safe

Vs

The Naughty List

1. Diary of a Wimpy Kid Christmas
    2. Santa Paws

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

5yr old just watched Annie.....I'm not sure where my dog has disappeared to but I'd let it on the good list. Unless I missed the bit where Annie couldn't afford a Turkey so she eat the dog.

I wouldn't put it past her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

99% of family Christmas movies are 'safe'. This is mollycoddling in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

How in the name of Cecil B DeMille is Diary of a Whimpy a dodgy film?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

It was the Christmas special and seemingly it showed the child finding the Santa presents hidden in hotpress ....then waking up to the same presents "delivered" from Santa .

I've friends who are primary school teachers and they've had a couple of children very upset in their class over the film.

Or maybe it's just trying to keep the magic of Christmas going for as long as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Gremlins ..definitely one for the naughty list due to Phoebe Cates Santa tale about 2/3rrds the way through the film.I love it mind you .

Gremlins 2 is ok though for kids (well other than the violence , which is toned down anyway),

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

All ours watched the traditional family Christmas movies and kept believing to the end of primary school. Don't overthink these things.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

This has been discussed before, but a few years ago now. 🙂

Some of the suggestions from that thread are:

Muppets Christmas Carol

The Snowman

Santa Claus the Movie

Jack Frost

Home Alone (maybe not for the really young ones) 😂

Also I think Klaus might be safe bet, as it's more about the origins of Father Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

My sister in law is a primary school teacher and the entire faculty and parents seem to have collectively lost their shít over this film. She has signed all of their TVs out of Disney+ just in case the kids watch it. But she hasn't actually watched it herself to see if it's as risky as everyone seems to think.

Pretty much every Christmas film that I loved growing up had an element of doubt in it, with the pay-off being that Santa was, in fact, real. I suspect this is more of the same (but will readily admit that I haven't seen it either).

Haven't seen it either tbh as I don't have Disney+.

I've heard it going straight over some kids heads and I've heard it absolutely ruining Christmas for some kids.

Personally myself as a parent of young children trying to keep the innocence as long as possible, I'd rather avoid films that have an element of doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,992 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We all watched Malcolm in the Middle in its entirety last year, and iirc there's an episode of that which wouldnt be considered 'safe'.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

This thread was cross posted to the Parenting forum but I will cross post my reply because they are movies worth mentioning:

There is a series of now 3 movies on Netflix that are Dutch/Belgian. So they are dubbed. But we quite enjoyed them.

I never did Santa with my kids so I never had to worry about movies "outing" the truth to them. But these three movies start with the premise that one of the main characters is himself Santa Claus. So there is no real theme of "doubt" in them. So I reckon they would fit on your safe list.

My two older kids (now 9 and 13) quite enjoyed the first 2 movies. They are simple but magical and quite beautiful in their themes and acting. Planning to watch the third one today actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

I watched these over the last couple of years too and enjoyed them, haven't seen the third one yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

The first Santa Clause film is rated U yet the son in it says things like "Isn't it a bit childish to believe in santa claus". I used to like those films but I think they are over rated now. I don't tend to like Christmas films that focus too much on Santa and elves, etc.

From my experience the thing that did cast doubt in your mind was the fake looking Santa's in shopping centres. You could see the string off the beard. The last Christmas I believed was aged 9 but mother didn't tell me until 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

I watched the Diary of a Wimpy kid Christmas movie with my kids and there is no payoff. Santa doesn’t feature in the movie at all, I’d put it aimed at kids in late primary school as there is no covering up what happens. Mine are too small to have noticed what was happening and were half distracted when that scene came up. In my opinion it is really one to watch when that phase is over.

To add, the overall Christmas message is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

We have one who is on the edge of not believing and I know what you mean. We watched diary and while it is great fun it does show him finding his gift hidden in the press. Not ideal.

Advertisement