Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Protection Access Request

Options
  • 22-12-2023 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hey

I sent in a data access request with Tusla on the 14th of November which was first acknowledged on the 16th but offically not registered until the 23rd because it took them a week to ask me to send my certified ID (which I had certified already when filling in the original form but there was no option to attach it).

Anyway I sent it off and on the 24th got a letter for them to say that it would be sent on or before the 23rd of December.

So I heard absolutely nothing from them and decided to email the controller today as they are gone for Christmas today also.

I received a short email back to say "due to a high volume of requests they were extending it another 60 days.

I wrote back to say that was not good enough and that the law says 30 days. It can be extended by 60 days IF the request is complex (it is not) or if you make multiple requests (i did not).

I said basically that it is not the requesters problem if they have high volume of requests. And I also asked why I had not been told there was going to be a delay well in advance (no intention of getting on to me at all had I not emailed).

I said if i didnt receive it by the end of today that i would go legal and also report it to the data protection commission.

All i got back was a snark response that i was welcome to do so and she gave me the address of the commission.

She also said she would send the offical letter of extension shortly (she didnt).

Anyway I am after reporting it to the commission. I am hopelessly depressed with this whole situation and wanted it dealt with before christmas.

I just want to know do they have grounds for extending it?

Reading the law it says 30 days but can be extended if complex or made multiple requests.

Surely a company cannot just use the "we are too busy" excuse to comply with the 30 days? Would that just not make the law completely moot if they could all hide behind that excuse?

I am so sad by it and the snarky reply I received made me even worse.

Advertisement