Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrolling Erraticity

Options
  • 21-12-2023 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Don't know if that's a real word. But, now that ye here ..... This is driving me mad! It happens everywhere that I may want to scroll up, or down. It appears to be caused by the mouse wheel. But, pressing the wheel down and using the cursor on the scroll bar works normally.

What happens is; I'll read Post 1 of a thread. Try to scroll to post 2, when the screen flashes down to, like; Post six. Bottom of the page. Up to the middle of two. It'll scroll and / or Jump. Sometimes, it'll even jump Up the page, as I'm actively turning the wheel to scroll down.

Only consistency is its constance! Happens here. You Tube. Discord. So, it's 'Me'. But, my mouse ~ or something gone hay wire inside the computer?

Wireless Optical Mouse. Fresh, checked batteries. I threw away the last ~ identical ~ mouse. Blaming It. Now, very shortly, This one's doing it! 😬

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Check for dirt/hair/dust on mouse laser / wheel

disconnect/re-connect(If BT - un-pair/pair) mouse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Done all that, Smug. And am now using a fresh version of the mouse. And I have a Third one, unopened, on the shelf. I bought that in a bit of a panic. Figured it'd be good to have, 'In case'. Now, I'm starting to wonder what's really going on. That, and I just can't afford to keep throwing twenty quids at these mice!

Would also add: All Cursor and Clicking (Buttons) works fine. ..... Saying that? That, again makes me wonder if it's not the machine? Though I did go to the Control Panel and play with what ever I could find there, to do with Scrolling)

Oh! Unplugged and replugged the little usb thing these mice come with too.

€20 is not little, but seam cheap for a mouse. I have 3yo logitech MX Master- no complaints, and i have 15+ yo logitech MX5000 keyboard still going strong.

Do yourself xmas present - get GOOD mouse, will ye 😊

This is the thing, see? Once upon a time, in a land far away, a Stigura with So Much munge he never had to think about Prices ~ and who actually knew even jack less about computery things than he does now ..... Saw, and grabbed what turned out to be a Microsoft 'Ball' Mouse? Think that's what it was called?

Fountain of joy! That was a Mouse!!! What a beauty! I felt like Don Draper. Sat there. Arm permanently laid on my desk. Perfectly still and relaxed. Just my thumb slightly moving as I squandered my life. It was great!

All things pass, of course. And, jesus christ! Have ye Seen the price of those things, these days?! 😲 So, I've sort of learned ~ through Much experience of such matters ~ I'm as well off just buying 'reasonable' stuff (Anker. £20 a pop) which generally does the job. Only, £20 or £80; The buggers go west in the end. Only, This end(s) are too quick. And suspicious as all hell!

If it were the mice? I'd, for one, find it odd that two ~ at least as I remember ~ have gone in the exact same way. And, for another, so soon. I'm wondering: If I open that Amazon box sat on the shelf back there. Take out that mouse and put This one aside? Will the problem remain? (Meaning it must be the machine) Or, will all be fine ~ until I burst back in here absolutely raging?

I've just got this hunch. I suspect the machine. But, How?! There's several bits of a given mouse that can screw up, aren't there. On this type alone, we have the laser on the bottom. Wheel. Buttons. Decorative light, inside. USB pluglet. Batteries. On / Off switch.

Yet, it's the one thing. The Scroll control. Two or three times now. Dunno. I'm beginning to observe a little pattern emerging here 😐️

Granted, it could be an inherent fault in this particular model of mouse? Maybe. But, I've had branded Anker ones. And identical, with another name on. Could they have cloned a balls up Anker made in their design, and have never remedied? See how it just feels easier to think it might be the machine?

Machine allows us to alter the Speed of the cursor. Mouse can't do that. Could the machine Also govern the scroll ~ and have developed a glitch in that department? I'm no way tech savvy enough to have a clue what that stuff about " Use X Scrolling " etc. means, in the mouse control place. I'm just sort of hoping that's what it is though. That I've touched something, in there, I shouldn't.

This is a pretty distinctive problem. I was hoping others might have encountered it and sorted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I'm sure you've done the whole turn it off and back on again thing ... haven't you?

A friend asked me to check his machine for viruses as he was having some very weird behaviour with Excel with the cursor jumping all over the place. First thing I did was reboot ... problem gone.

3 months later a phone call ... "I think I've got a virus, cos the cursor is jumping all over the place in Excel." ... I ask when was the last time he rebooted ... couldn't remember ... did so ... problems solved. 🙄

If you had done so though, then maybe consider doing a Windows repair/reinstall.

• Advertisement

" consider doing a Windows repair/reinstall. "

Cold shiver down the back material!

Can't reinstall. No disc. (Can't honestly remember the last time I had a machine with an OS disc)

I will say though that this one has 'Automatic (Windoze) Updates' allowed. Firefox too updates itself, as and when. I turn it off every night ..... Just at a complete loss here 🙁

It's weird. I just don't know enough about these things to be able to get a fix on why / how weird. I mean; It screws with this place. It screws with Reddit. Amazon. Everywhere! So, what does That tell us ....? Dunno! What Does it tell us? Anything? I guess it says it's not Boards, or Amazons fault. So, it's something else? But, What???

It's not the pages. Because Everyone's pages get it. The Cursor is fine. (Machine and mouse can effect the cursor though. Weirdly) Multiple mice ....? See above. I just feel the numbers, alone, are against That. Even the fact that we're talking genuine Anker and then rip off versions. All carrying the same bug? Naah.

And, it's so random! If it just locked into a diving scroll to the bottom of the page? Yeah. Sure. Give the mouse a blow through. Or tap it on the desk. Ye'd suspect a trapped bit of dirt, yeah? But, this is completely spastic behaviour. There's no rhyme or reason. Up and down. May go a paragraph. May go half a long thread! Can jump and stop. Or, might whizz up and down like hell. Really fast.

Sounds like something's fritzing, doesn't it? I just can't pin it down. And, it's actually getting to the point now where I'd sooner sit and glaze over at tube vid's. Rather than even bother to try to follow a good thread on a forum. Or try to look at mice, on Amazon 😟

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I'm not sure if you need the "disc" for the repair option, but if you want to reinstall you can get the Windows Installer here:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Might there be a stuck key on the keyboard?

Wow! Thanks! I genuinely never knew that existed ~ obviously.

7? I always Loved 7! Can't remember why, now. Do know I hated the hell out of this 10. I actually suspect what ever it was I found so hateful about 10 might have been at the root of my ever since and ongoing decline in enamourment of the whole damn thing, in honesty. That and the general drift toward a whole 'North Korean' vibe creeping over the net, these days.

Anyway ..... Yeah. That's cool as! I'll stash that link away. Something's gonna happen. Computers don't last for ever. God alone knows what I'll end up with next. It might be the final straw and push me to simply over lay the whole thing with 7.

Meantime? It's just occurred to me that this Is a very real, 'permanent' and ~ more importantly! ~ pretty well fool proof glitch. I mean, it's not as it I have to Try or Wait for it to materialise. I can hit Send on this. Then try to glance over the thread. It Will go spastic on me!

I can use that to my ~ possible ~ advantage though. 'Tomorrow', when I get time, I Will open that brand new, genuine Anker, identical model of mouse I have there. That's gonna decide it, isn't it? Sort that out and, one Blink from this screen and I'll be computer shopping. Or, maybe, sticking 7 on this thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭ozmo

I had odd behavour like this once… but only on sunny days..

turns out light was getting through the grey mouse case and messing up the light sensors inside. I used lots black marker on inside of the mouse to fix problem until i got a different coloured mouse…

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

No. I don't believe so. Happens my desk collapsed completely, couple of days ago. Everything hit the concrete. Keyboard most of all, as it happens. That sure would have knocked any crumbs out.

I also, as it happens, had to un plug the board too. To thread its lead through a new spot on the desk. So, yeah, I about did as much as one can do with the keyboard. This board's noticeably clean too, by my standards. I've some time since stopped smoking ~ no more roll up baccy showering down on the keys. Stopped drinking too. This board's never tasted home made stout.

Plus, like I say; It can sort of 'Flicker'. Racing up and down the page, randomly. Not like it might if the Page Up or Down buttons were stuck.

Damn, I need to pin this down! 😬 I'm happy, typing stuff. Or sitting, staring at video. Thought of drifting off and trying to read what the lads have been up to on a forum though? Annoys me. I know it'll be no pleasure 😕

Wow. Yeah. That actually seems closer to what ever possibility may be behind this too, eh? Something bizarre.

Unfortunately, while I'm usually pretty good at doing mental donkey work, just stoically plodding through endless ideas and possibilities? This one's giving me a vicious hiding!

I'm getting that virgin mouse out, tomorrow. It's been a long day and I just haven't got it left in me to start pulling stuff around this minute.

Bed seems more fun that swapping batteries and dropping bits of plastic 😐️ (Christ! It even does it in the emoji's box?! How whacked out is this?!)

Try and see if it help:

right click on Win start menu and select "Device manager"

Expand "Mice and other .... ", right click on your mouse entry, select "Properties", select "Driver" tab, "Uninstall"

repeat if more than one entry for same device.

Disconnect adapter/connect adapter to allow fresh driver installation.

Sometimes you can get good gear for half price, the one i use right now is actually from 2018 and it was £46, second i needed was 2020 for even less

Smugs; It's sorted! 😁 Lips did it!

" Lips " is one of my abhorrent puppies. She's called that because white bits, on her mouth, made me think how she looked like she'd been at ice cream. She hadn't obviously. But, the little ****'s into Everything else here! Most especially, the right hand corner of my desk(?!) Moment I leave the room for a second? She's up there. Scrabbling for what ever she can find. Search and destroy is always her intent.

So, yeah: Despite my having bought and fitted a basket, in which I need to religiously remember to put Everything, before turning my back? It's gonna happen, isn't it? And it did. I came in to find the mouse on the floor 🙄

Now, ye have to realise this is a 'Vertical' / ergonomic mouse. Yeah? And it basically has a seam along the top of it? Well, Lips didn't have time to destroy it. But, she Did manage to get a start. Thus she prised that seem open. Just a mm or two.

And, voila! It's obviously taken a pressure off. Maybe dislodged a bit of foreign material? I don't know. But, between the impact of her (presumably) knocking it to the concrete, then having at it? It's jarred what ever was sticking, inside there, free! Mouse is now scrolling like a good'n and I'm one very happy bunny! 😄

Regards the Track Ball types? One day, again, maybe. I'll have to wait and see if Lips grows out of this unholy obsession, first. No Way I'm being stupid enough to shell out a brown one's worth, plus. Not just to have it smashed to pieces in days! 😱 Because, we all know; It Would happen! 😒

Thanks for all the input, anyway, folks. Bit of a bitch, actually, that I probably Binned the last one, because It had gone like this! I have the brand new one ~ I panic bought, as a back up ~ sat on the shelf now. Got a pop corn maker too. And a small heat lamp. Getting like Steptoe's place, around here! With added Dogs.

What other animals you have there that have "access" to your computer and peripherals?, just in case you forget to mention whilst looking for troubleshooting another issue in the future...

Advertisement