Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's The Nicest Thing Somebody On Boards Did For You?

Options
  • 21-12-2023 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

Right,it's the season of goodwill so why not take a break from the squabbling to recognise some goodness in fellow boardies.

I'm only here since 2018 so missed the supposed glory days of boards.

However I have got good info and had good chats on here.

Around 2 years ago I got Covid,I was entitled to the Covid sick pay or whatever it was.There was a thread about how enefficient the system was with lots of people not getting paid,getting paid the wrong amount etc.

I was on the thread complaining aswell,I had a bit of ill tempered over and back with another poster.Then this poster pmed me and said I work for the dept,give me your details and I'll have a look at your claim.I was a bit hesitant to give all that info to a stranger online but I checked their profile and they had been here for years with thousands of posts,I sent the info

That afternoon the claim was processed and 3 days later €600 was in my bank account!

So...what are your tales of fellow boardsies going above and beyond?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Probably people PMing me details of something when I asked on a main thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Archeron

Yonks ago, i got a virus on my home pc that was deleting all of my files, which included my entire photo collection. Stupidity on my part i had no backup.

Went into the computer forum and a poster laid out every step i needed to do to get them back. Thanks be it was a very basic virus and was hiding the files instead of deleting them, but without that poster, i would have been absolutely lost. There sure are some good folk on this site and to this day I'm grateful they took the time.

So happy Christmas to all the good bananas of boards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭gifted

Someone sent me a photo of their boobs.....God, they were lovely.....

Until I found out his name....😁😁😁😁

Definitely a reacharound

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Someone gave me job interview help through DM which was lovely of them, many years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mad scramble a few years ago for the newly released PlayStation5. Wanted one for my son. There was a thread about how to get one. One poster managed to secure two and very kindly gave me an Argos reservation code for one of them.

The look on my son's face Christmas morning, priceless! Wouldn't have happened without Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Not something done for me personally, but I like the Dunnes shop and save voucher thread.

People genuinely just helping each other out. Its nice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Being shown around a former Boards member’s place of work. It was fascinating and very generous of him.

He’s not on Boards anymore but we stay in touch. 👍👍

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭chosen1

My ma apparently!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Notoldorwise

Answered a question that I asked. When I was stuck. WITHOUT ANY PERSONAL GAIN. Many times. Many people. It is what makes BOARDS the personification of kindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Had a very serious personal problem. Posted anonymously on the PI forum. Got some seriously solid and helpful advice. Stopped me doing something terribly stupid in panic. Ever grateful for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭banie01

A few years ago I posted about donating the money received for a watch I'd sold over on the watches forum to the children's grief project in Limerick. It is a charity close to my heart after the help they'd given my son and I when we lost his mam.

Anyway over the course of the following week another almost €1000 landed in their account from boardsies who donated directly or via myself.

I'm on boards since 2007 and I've been lucky enough to get to know some wonderful people here, plenty of advice, shoulders and caring ears have been lent to me at my lowest. If nothing else? I'd like to think I try and pay it forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'm here years myself, a few that come to mind:

Few requests I made on photography forum for Photoshop jobs

Someone stitched two mp3s together for me including fading from one song to the next for a project I was working on, this was at least 15 years ago!

In person advice/help when setting up a new fish tank

There's a whole thread of people who volunteer to build PCs for people who don't have experience over in computers forum.

Countless excellent bargain alerts (that forum is nothing like it used to be)!

Plenty of advice and insights!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

In 2014 inviting me with my hubsan 2 megapixel camera drone onto their farm in Co Cavan to do some drone filming of said farm. I stopped flying drones for good a year later.

These days boardsies are more boring. This is borne out by the sad state of the Models forum.

Advertisement