Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission issues on house purchase

Options
  • 21-12-2023 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

We’ve had our offer accepted on a house, which on the face of it appears perfect. We looked at the planning application online and the location of the house and septic system appears to bear no relation to the approved plans. Is it possible revised plans were submitted and not uploaded to the planning site ? I’ve told my solicitor but they are waiting for the initial contract before investigating.

The house was built in the mid 2000s. Is it common to find issues such as these? Were finished houses not checked against planning applications etc. at that time?

Many thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

In my experience, it's fairly common. My house was built in 2004 and the planning application had approval for a septic treatment tank with a puraflo system and then a raised percolation area behind it, which would have been pricey enough to put in. What was actually installed was a bog standard (pun intended) tank and a length of corrugated pipe running out the back of it into a soak pit.

It didn't effect my purchase because the bank never queried it, all they cared about was that the sewage treatment was contained on our own land, which it is. It depends on what sort of septic system is in there now, because I've heard the banks are looking into them a bit more. We bought in 2021 - we knew about the issues with the septic system before we bought it, and were aware that the whole thing needed ripped out and replaced. The engineer who designed my new septic system did comment that we were lucky to have bought the house when we did because it's likely that the bank wouldn't have issued the mortgage on it if we'd been trying to buy it today, with the septic system in the state it was in.

Advertisement