Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railing recommendation to attach to house wall

Options
  • 20-12-2023 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

We have porcelain tiles on our steps at the back of our house that are proving slippy in the weather. I want to attach a railing on the wall. Here's the setup below. Please can anyone recommend from experience a sturdy railing I can use to attach to the wall that will last a lifetime.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Does it need to be decorative? if it doesn't need to be decorative I would just use galvanised tubing and fittings, they are very cheap and sturdy!

Welding suppliers like proweld will have everything you need for very little money, including the tubing and end caps. If you know a plumber that works with gun barrel they may well have a hydraulic bender to bend the ends level which might look slightly better.

The last one I did, i think i used the 26mm tubing which was fine, I think it was about €20 for 2m of tube and the fittings + end caps.

https://proweld.ie/product/143-1-wall-mounted-handrail-bracket-26-9mm/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

A few points on the steps too. They seem to have some moss or algae growing, and they also look very smooth. Cleaning with porcelain cleaner, then sealing will help keep them dryer and then less susceptible to growth. DIY job and will go a very long way for a few quid.

Most people wont use a handrail, and a fall can still be dangerous even if you manage to grab the rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭boardtc

@DublinDilbert Great timing, thnaks so much. ProWeld is 5 minutes drive from me! I'll call over at lunch now. I'll ask them if they know someone who will do hydraulic bending for a tenner or something.

@kirving Aye, porcelain flags are smooth! Great call and thanks for info. We also have 40 sq m of patio that depending on conditions can be slippy too. Will this stuff work? https://www.screwfix.ie/p/jeyes-patio-decking-power-4ltr/6000P

What would you use to seal? How often would you meed to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I used a hydraulic bender as I needed to bend it a about 45 degrees, but yours looks like it needs to be bent about 35 degrees.

There's probably a fair few engineering workshops in the industrial estate that would bend it for you. On the tin tubing you might even be able to manually bend it, if you could secure one end. Or if you know a mechanic with a hydraulic press, you could probably set it up to do a bend in it. Once the basic bend has been made, you can open/close it by a few degrees if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

You're welcome - that stuff should work yes. I think the best to do is scrub it in with a yard brush too.

To be honest I'm not sure on ant particular brands, but give your local tile shop a shout and ask, they'll certainly have something suitable.

https://www.tilemerchant.ie/stontex-porcelain-sealer-1l.html

• Advertisement

Thanks @kirving! I got in touch with tilemerchants who supplied us, they said "you don't need to seal porcelain, it's already sealed" They said to use https://www.tilemerchant.ie/accessories-stontex-green-to-clean-5l-hstgrcl-5l.html

It all worked out great thanks! 42mm was the best width for a decent handrailing, so €36 for parts. I found a shop to bend it for me and galanise spray it, €40 - things cost a bit more these days.

Advertisement