Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The plausibility of online adverts

Options
  • 20-12-2023 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

More and more, I have been noticing online adverts that seem to me to be implausible and suspect in their claims. Without mentioning any platforms or advertizers, I will give some examples:

"An Irish engineer invented this device the energy industry does not want you to know about. "

The device looked similar to something that has been around for decades. The Irish connection sounds irrelevant and even if it is true, how true is it? Are the energy companies really worried about this device?

Another advert says "drink warm water before you go to bed" and that was something to do with the postrate. Well if you drink before you go to bed you will need to go to the bathroom during the night just like someone with postrate trouble.

A lot of adds try to get you to listen to a long seninar to reel you in. They save the punchline till the end and you can`t jump forward in an online video.

Then there are a spate of ads saying "if you add this or exclude that from your diet, you get this result". Or "this protein will change your life in some way". Usually you would have to click on a link a probably listen to a long speach (note my politeness) before the punchline, which might involve recruiting you, or an investment or a purchase.

I don`t doubt a lot of these ads could be construed as true and accurate but in a very misleading way.

I lived in London years ago and that is where I learned to identify dodgy sales pitches in whatever form they took. What I learned was this:

Do NOT do business with anyone who approaches you in any way, shape or form. Be it in person, online or any other way.

Post edited by Hannibal_Smith on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Not a conspiracy theory. Moved to AH which is probably a better fit for it.

HS

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Ads with well known people, e.g. Micheál Martin promoting cryptocurrency could be dodgy.

As an aside, Prostate and Prostrate are not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭randd1

You mean busty single moms in my area aren't seeking companionship from me?

Or that I can live without that new product?

Or that I don't need to sign up to a subscription for 6 months online therapy right now?

Or that wish.com is the pinnacle of online shopping?

Damned online advertisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Well yes but you would be amazed at what seemingly intelligent people are taken in by. Just look at crypto currencies and that other ridiculous thing ... NFTs. And I once new a confident, smart, educated woman who believed in these people who claim to be able to communicate with people`s dead reletives. But is it just me or do suspect ads seem to be more common these days?

I think strange trends tend to take hold before major turbulence in the economy. Michael Burry (played by Christian Bale) aluded to this in the movie the Big Short. One thing I noticed in the year or two before the 2008 finacial crisis was the tendency to give loans. I remember the lady at the bank telling me I should save my savings and borrow instead! How mad is that?

Advertisement