Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV tyre choices and change up options

Options
  • 20-12-2023 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭

Time for a 4-corner tyre change in the months ahead and I've been offered a good deal on a set of non-EV hoops, with a slightly different profile.

I was considering Michelin Cross-Climates for the next round of rubber, currently wearing Hankook Ventus S1 EV03 235/45/19s but am considering 235/35/19s for next change purely because of an unexpected offer.

Now going from EV to non-EV tyres doesn't bother me in the slightest, my pause for info is more around the profile change for what is a heavy car (2000 kgs) and whether SUV-based EVs need tyres with reinforced sidewalls etc.

Also interested in opinions about Pirelli P-Zero rubber in general as that's what I'm being distracted by (non-XL version).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Core6

The change in profile will impact the accuracy of your speedometer and other items too such as ride quality.

The profile is expressed as a percentage of the width so your existing tyres are 45% of 235 and the ones you are thinking about are 35% of 235.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭sh81722

As long as the load rating is similar to the OEM tyres all is good (the correct size should of course be used). I would not buy any tyres that are not at least B efficiency rated and preferably A for the wet grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Basilio

For me main concern would be A rated on wet, A rated on sound and at least B rated on fuel consumption (as per EU label).

Was it designed for EV or not is all about Marketing. All potential fuel saving could be totally offset by driving underinflated "EV tires" as compare to well balanced and properly inflated Mid Range non EV design .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The Pirellis seem to have XL sidewalls, I didn't spot that, and the performance factors are identical C+A and very slightly quieter (70db vs 72db)

Any reason not to move from Hankook Ventus S1 EVO to Pirelli P Zero

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭sh81722

Somebody here said that their set ran out very quickly compared to the previous ones, but that was a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Thanks for starting this topic, It's actually very interesting for me - I've a Model 3 (SR+) with 18-inch wheels.

I'm a complete noob and looking to replace tyres for the first time in Jan (I've put about 60k km on the original ones) - any recommendations? And approximate prices I could expect to pay per tyre?

Advertisement