Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 1950s rock 'n' roll artist(s)

Options
  • 19-12-2023 4:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

First off .. I will say I am a lifelong Elvis fan and am biased !! Yes ... aware 100% Elvis did not invent the genre and he said so himself in 1968 !! But he was the best white hitmaking exponent of it ... but one cannot forget the African Americans who originated it ... let's take a very quick look at the ones I pick ...

Elvis defo the best famous white rock 'n' roll pioneer ... my other favourite Charlie Rich is my pick for most underrated unknown white rocker ... he did some great records in that genre before he moved to soul, blues and country ... and there is a pre 1950s white singer called Moon Mulligan who was doing Elvis blues type before Elvis ...

For African Americans I'd defo go Chuck Berry in the era .... CB was greatest songwriter of the genre considering the ones he wrote ... for less well known African American rocker from the era I'd prob go for the early lineup of The Drifters with Clyde McPhatter ... would pick either Louis Jordan or Big Joe Turner in the pre rock and them 2 gave white singer Bill Haley many of his songs ...

Who are your 1950s rock 'n' roll idols? And why are they important? ...

Advertisement