Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a budget TV for the series X

Options
  • 19-12-2023 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, haven't a clue about the series X unit itself but the young lad will be getting it very shortly from north pole :-)

But I don't want him using old 720 TV as apparently that's a disservice to the series X and the full features.

What do I need to look for in getting him a telly as well? I'm seeing 4k is a must. Hdmi 2.1 also (never heard of it till now)

Look for refresh rate as high as possible?

What can I expect to pay to get him up and running without breaking the bank

Thanks 🙏

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭gmg678

all depends on your budget, I was always a Samsung tv buyer but went with LG brand as it is one of the best for gaming(although that was a year ago and the others have good models now, Sony,Samsung) as you can get 4k 120fps and 2.1hdmi. you may get a deal with the XMAS sales. you will be looking at over €500 to get all of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Would you suggest that all those features I identified are required?

4k tvs are cheap enough for entry level stuff but they don't mention 120fps and 2.1hdmi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

You don't need HDMI 2.1 unless you really need 120 FPS gaming. 60 FPS up to 4K Res is good enough. Maybe for competitive first person shooters. And then you take a hit on resolution.

Or you are used to 120 FPS games and 60 would be a downgrade for you.

There is a big noticeable jump from 30 FPS to 60 FPS. But not to 120 FPS. And some people can't even tell 30 FPS to 60.

Another option is a monitor, like 28 or 32 inch that does 60 FPS, 4K. Can be used as a computer monitor too. He can connect the controller to headphones, or speakers to the monitor , so no need for a monitor with speakers, which are crap on monitors anyway.

On cheaper TVs, monitors you won't get great HDR.

Also, variable refresh rate is good to have to improve frame rate consistency

E.g. has VRR, 60 FPS, 4K, (minimal) HDR

LG Electronics UHD 4K Gaming Monitor 27UL550P, 27 inch, 4K, 60Hz, 5 ms, IPS Display, HDR 10, AMD FreeSync, Energy Saving, HDMI, Displayport, Anti Glare

https://amzn.eu/d/dVmBG4Y

276 euro

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Antipathetic

Have a look at TVs from TCL they appear to deliver good quality at low prices and seem like a solid brand.

It would be helpful to know what size TV are you looking for? And more importantly, what is your maximum budget?

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Thanks guys

He's using an old TV at the moment on an Xbox one

Size I think 32" probably enough.

Budget max probably 400 maybe

I might go with one of the monitors flagged there from superbowser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

If the new TV/monitor is not urgent then wait for the after Christmas sales.

Also, with some of these monitors 1 hdmi port will support 30 FPS and the other 60 FPS.

So you need to use the correct one to get 60 FPS and play a game that supports 60 FPS and make sure its running in performance mode. (There will also be a quality mode that is 30 FPS and higher resolution).

I got a LG 27UL550-W from Amazon Germany in 2021 and have been using it since for work. I used it for a good few months for games and then got an OLED LG TV.

Advertisement